Topic: Quick start circuit

silverchief    -- 09-05-2013 @ 2:53 PM
  Picked up a diode today and some 12 gauge wire at Radio Shack to rig the hot start circuit as suggested by Supereal. The diode is very tiny - not more than 1/8 inch across at most, a cylinder with a grey band at one end. Can this be right???

kubes40    -- 09-06-2013 @ 7:29 AM
  That can be right. they are small. Usually the banded end is the "out" end. I'd suggest you test it prior to installing...

supereal    -- 09-06-2013 @ 7:31 AM
  The physical size of the diode isn't as important as the current rating. We usually install the "top hat" style of diode, as they are sufficiently heavy. Go ahead and use your small diode, but check it after use to be sure it isn't open or shorted. This circuit doesn't carry much load. It just increases voltage at the coil as long as the starter is energized.

silverchief    -- 09-06-2013 @ 1:51 PM
  Installed the hot start circuit per suggestion of Supereal. No success whatsoever - until he clued me that I had the diode installed backwards. Now I have all kinds of success!!

A great idea and well worth the effort.

supereal    -- 09-06-2013 @ 6:48 PM
  Good, Bill. Glad it worked. Enjoyed our phone visit. I had a '46 sedan coupe just yours, except it was a six.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-6-13 @ 6:50 PM

MG    -- 09-07-2013 @ 9:47 AM
  super,

What is the part number or identification number of the diode you use? What is the current draw of this circuit?.......MG

This message was edited by MG on 9-7-13 @ 10:21 AM

supereal    -- 09-07-2013 @ 10:56 AM
  We use the "top hat" type diode (case type 60) that handles a current of 3 amps. They are designed for 500 volt peaks, so the "kick" provided by the field collapse when the starter is turned off doesn't affect them. They are usually available on a card at Radio Shack or other source. I haven't measured the current draw of the overall circuit, but we haven't had any diode failures. My friend Bill's problem was that the diode was installed backwards, allowing it to ground the ignition when the starter was turned off. To be sre you have the diode facing the correct direction, after you hook it up to the coil, connect a voltmeter between the end of the wire to the solenoid and ground. When you turn the ignition on, before the wire is connected to the solenoid, if you see voltage, the diode must be turned around.

jdpears    -- 09-09-2013 @ 2:43 PM
  which post on the coil does it hook to,the + or -, dist. or bat. this is a great idea going to set one up on my '46. i've ordered a 400 volt 3amp top hat diode. thanks for the info. jdpears

supereal    -- 09-09-2013 @ 2:49 PM
  Goes to the battery side of the coil. See the diagram on the post above. I have used this circuit for more than 20 years. It overcomes the system voltage drop due to the starter draw. It should be noted that the engine will run as long as the starter button is held down. This has never been a problem, as far as I know, as most people don't drive while holding the button. If the ngine dies when you release the button, the diode is installed backwards.

jdpears    -- 09-09-2013 @ 3:12 PM
  thanks supereal, sure appreciate the info. i used a easy start deal similar to this but it got gone some how during some work i had done. thanks again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6499