Topic: Cooling flathead after shutdown

Old Henry    -- 09-01-2013 @ 9:24 PM
  My apologies to any also seeing this on the Ford Barn. I'll take ideas wherever I can get them.

I'm still trying to solve the gasoline smell after I shut down my 47 with 59A engine. In my garage I can just open the hood and it reduces the engine compartment temperature enough that the gas doesn't boil in the carburetor. But, when I park outside in the sun for a few minutes I can soon smell the gas. Pretty annoying. I know, I could open my hood every time I park but that's pretty ugly and annoying too.

So, I thought of this idea and wonder if anyone's tried it and/or what anyone thinks of it:

I would put the smallest 6 volt electric pusher fan in front of my radiator that does nothing until I turn the engine off. Since my ignition current goes through a kill switch relay with a normally closed contact I could hook the fan up to that contact to only be energized when I shut the switch off. Then I could control the fan by an adjustable thermostat switch with sensor in the air near the carburetor (discreetly, of course) so that the fan will shut itself off when the engine compartment temperature drops below 180 - the boiling temperature of some ethanol gasolines. Although it may seem that the fan would only be heating up the engine compartment by blowing air through the hot radiator, without the engine and water pumps running I'm thinking that the fan would soon cool the water in the radiator then be blowing cooler air into the engine compartment to cool the carburetor. The spoiler to that would be if the water started circulating through the engine by thermal syphoning. If that happened the fan would have to cool the whole engine before cooling the engine compartment rather than just cooling the water sitting in the radiator then cooling the air around the engine, particularly above it.

I know the un-energized fan in front of the radiator may drag and reduce some air flow. I also know there will be a drain on the battery for whatever period of time it takes to cool the engine compartment down and shut off the fan. Since I don't know how long that will take I don't know how much it might drain the 6 volt battery before the fan shuts off.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and/or what anyone thinks of the idea. As annoying as hearing the fan running after the engine is shut off may be, I don't see it as annoying as opening the hood every time I park the car.

Thoughts?

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-1-13 @ 9:25 PM

TomO    -- 09-02-2013 @ 7:14 AM
  Henry, have you tried lowering the fuel level in your carburetor? Depending upon which style of needle valve you have you can lower the level 1/32" with the steel valve up to 1/8" with the grosse jet type valve without affecting the performance.

The fan may work, but I would try lowering the fuel level in the carburetor first.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-02-2013 @ 11:56 AM
  Smelling gas after shutdown usually indicates a leak somewhere, a dangerous situation. The heat soak after shutting the engine down is always present, but none of my old Fords had the problem, except one, which had pinholes in the top of the gas tank. When the car was stopped, heat from the pavement caused the odor, and a new tank solved the problem that had been tough to locate. I'd try Tom's suggestion first, and also check the gas cap to see if it is properly vented

tscags    -- 10-03-2013 @ 7:09 AM
  henry.....I have a pull fan hooked up. when i am a few blocks from the garage i turn it on to help cool the block. I leave it run for a few minutes after its in the garage with the engine off,then start it up and watch the gauge drop,after which I shut everything off and go...still have exhaust fumes but thats the way it is.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6487