Topic: starter motor with new modern drive

joseph    -- 09-01-2013 @ 3:40 PM
  new starter18 11052 from joes antique auto parts wont go int oil pan am i doing some thing wrong 1937 ford it is bigger than the bendix which came out help

supereal    -- 09-01-2013 @ 3:50 PM
  You often have to tilt the starter as you insert it into the clutch housing so the drive will clear the flywheel. It takes a little doing in an awkward place, but usually solves the problem. If you don't have the starter bracket that goes between the starter and an oil pan bolt, you can order it from C&G (800-266-0470) as 51A-11150, $7. It helps support the starter, and prevents torque twisting.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-1-13 @ 3:51 PM

joseph    -- 09-01-2013 @ 6:19 PM
  thanks supereal ive done this before and i know about the wiggle required but this is too big i have mud pans and tomorrow iwill take them off maybe a better angle thanks for the bracket info i have the one that was on the car thanks again for replying

42merc    -- 09-02-2013 @ 7:14 AM
  If your new starter has the "made in India" replacement starter drive, not a Bendix, some grinding will required to fit this assembly to your engine.

TomO    -- 09-02-2013 @ 7:17 AM
  Have you considered having your old starter rebuilt? The new starter may also allow you to use the old Bendix. IMHO they are much more reliable than the new style.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-02-2013 @ 7:24 AM
  I'd send it back and order one with a standard drive. As you know how to maneuver it, the outsize drive is the obvious problem. We get ours from C&G.

joseph    -- 09-02-2013 @ 5:49 PM
  hi supereal and others thanks got starter in had to undo mud pans hooked everything up starter would not crank took starter out and jumped it on ground worked replaced starter in car spun once and stopped never cranked car loosened bolts to see if starterwas bound up nothing good battery i thin thi replacement starter is junk going to c&g for a replacement also think most of these solenoids are no good thanks for any help am i all wrong?

JM    -- 09-02-2013 @ 6:05 PM
  A guy on tour with us last year had a starter failure with one of those new type drive mechanisms. An internal retainer spring had popped off/out. He was able to make a roadside repair and get it back together because he is an excellent repairman. I don't think the average old car owner would have known how to make that repair. I personally prefer the function and sound of the old Bendix drive system. I would also suggest having your old one rebuilt or finding another one like it in good condition. JMO

John

This message was edited by JM on 9-2-13 @ 6:10 PM

Cecil/WV    -- 09-03-2013 @ 5:03 AM
  I have one of those "new" starters that I got from Joblot and I used the original drive and it works fine. However, the new style drive didn't work at all.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

TomO    -- 09-03-2013 @ 8:29 AM
  Joe, Check around for starter and generator rebuilders, you may be able to save some money. NAPA has a rebuilding service in some areas. I had a starter rebuilt locally for $85 in 2005.

Tom

joseph    -- 09-07-2013 @ 5:42 PM
  thanks for all help Joes antique auto parts came to my rescue and sent me a replacement starter it is now inthe carand works just fine thanks all the starter was defective

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6485