Topic: Windshield Wipers

Stroker    -- 01-19-2010 @ 6:26 AM
  My 38 wagon always "parked" the wipers "in". I've seen other 38 "open cowl" Fords with the wipers parked "out", like a 40 thru 48. Since I haven't changed anything since new, (other than rebuilding the original wiper motor) I believe, at least for this particular car, "in" is correct. I have, however seen a few 38 wagons with them parked "out" (Nick Alexander's 38). Is it simply a matter of the original wiper motor vendor, or is there some other explanation, like how the
wiper operating linkage is installed?

Also lately, I've noticed that there are 2-37 Roadsters for sale. One has a single overhead driver-side only wiper, and the other shows the typical cowling installation that I thought was exclusive to open cars and wagons. An option, or running change perhaps?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-19-2010 @ 8:55 AM
  37 38 39 40 open cars-stationwagons used the same motor,
on my 37 I have them parked in,
looks a lot better than out,been that way when I got it in 1975,looks more natural
just my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon    -- 01-19-2010 @ 11:57 AM
  Stroker
Your question got me curious so I went to the source the book Famous Ford Woodies by Sorenson. According to the factory photos it works out this way:
1937 Wipers parked in
1938 Wipers parked in or out. Factory photos show them both ways.
1939 Wipers parked in
1940 thru 48 including Sportsmen wipers parked out.
Ted

Stroker    -- 01-19-2010 @ 1:27 PM
  Thank You! Like you, I've seen them both ways, but I've always remembered mine as being "in".
I'm still really puzzled regarding John Brayton''s 37 Roadster in the classified. I've never actually
seen, nor knew of anyone with a 37 Roadster, but what really is different about his is the single
top mounted wiper. It certainly looks original, but I've never seen a 37 open car or wagon that didn't have wipers mounted on the cowl. Maybe that was an option on the Roadster..interesting stuff! Maybe that explains why Dan's Roadster shows no evidence of cowl mounted wipers. And yet, the 37 on Ebay has
them. Go figure!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=648