Topic: Wiring question

silverchief    -- 08-30-2013 @ 3:35 PM
  The passenger side brake light and directional signal has suddenly stopped working on my original 46 coupe. The tail light works. Bought new bucket wires and connectors complete for both tail lights - no help. Solid ground on both sides. Changed bulbs several times. Driver's side brake light and directional works, as do left and right directional in front. For that reason I hesitate to suspect the directional switch itself. In looking at the wiring schematic, it appears the tail lights receive their power ONLY from one side of the brake light switch, which receives it's power from the lighting circuit breaker. Still, tail lights receive power without the brake switch being activated. What am I missing here - and any ideas what might be the problem?

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 5:26 PM
  Only the stop (brake) lights are routed thru the controller. The taillights are separate. I suspect the turn signal contoller is the problem. They are famous for causng problems. On modern cars, we install the whole column, rather than try to fix them.

trjford8    -- 08-30-2013 @ 6:38 PM
  If you are using the bullet connectors for your wirees check them for a loose connection or corrosion. They can be the source of a lot of lighting problems. As Bob says the brake lights route through the turn switch. the tailamps route through the headlamp switch.

silverchief    -- 08-31-2013 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks guys - helpful information.

TomO    -- 09-01-2013 @ 7:48 AM
  Check the connection at the junction near the gas filler pipe and at the tail light. There is a crossover harness that carries the right side brake light and tail light wires. The junction for this harness is near where the gas filler pipe meets the frame.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-01-2013 @ 3:43 PM
  If the front turn signal works, but the back one doesn't, it could be a bad "bullet" connector, but if the front works and the back doesn't, it isn't the control, in all liklihood. As Tom suggests, that crossover wire many be the fault. I have found, on occasion, that in the event of a poor ground at the bulb socket itself, that one filiment in the bulb may be getting ground thru the other filiment in the same bulb. We solder all bullet connectors, and cover them with heat shrink tubing. After assembly, they really don't serve a purpose, and have always been trouble.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6479