Topic: Wide 5 Wheels

Ross6860    -- 08-29-2013 @ 4:22 PM
  I know most of the folks here are into period correct restoration, but I'll ask anyhow.

Anyone know a source of wide 5 pattern wheels wider than the stock rims?

I found one manufacturer (The Wheelsmith) that will take a set of wide 5s and install a new rim on the factory center. They also claim with the proper backspacing that 7" rims will fit on my '36 Tudor. Anyone have any experience with these folks or using wider than factory rims.

I plan on eventually running radials.

Thanks

Stroker    -- 08-29-2013 @ 6:15 PM
  Ross6860: There are lot's of options if you can figure out how to mount hubcaps. Many
dirt track racing wheels are still "wide-five", as they handle the extreme side loads
imposed in roundy-round racing. I'd check with suppliers such as Speedway in Lincoln
Nebraska.

supereal    -- 08-29-2013 @ 6:48 PM
  In my stock car racing days, we used 3/4 ton pickup wheels for wide tires on wide bolt drums. That is a very long time ago, so I doubt many are left. Using stock centers with new rims is a good idea if you plan to run radials, as the rim design is better and safer.

Ross6860    -- 08-30-2013 @ 12:35 PM
  Thanks

I found a lot of the racing wheels, including Speedaway, but they are typically much wider than what I'm looking for.

Should probably just find an set with decent center sections and have them made. They appear to know what backspacing to use for what year early Ford and tire/rim combo.

trjford8    -- 08-30-2013 @ 6:47 PM
  Be careful on the backspacing if you are running the stock shocks. Too much rim to the inside will cause the shock arms to rub the inside of the tire. Had this happen years ago on a 40 Ford when I went to 15 inch rims. The bolts going through the arms from the links cut a groove into the tire. If you use the stock backspacing you have enough room to bring the front side of the rim towards the fender.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-30-13 @ 6:49 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6476