Topic: Speedometer Stopped Working

39Fordfan    -- 08-28-2013 @ 5:27 PM
  My Speedometer stopped working. I didn't notice anything wrong. So I got a new cable from Little Dearborn. When I pulled the old one out nothing seemed to be wrong with it. I put the new one in. Still didn't work. It had instructions about having to shorten the cable, maybe on both ends. I did so. Still not working. Then I tried to isolate which end is not working so I left the cable undone on the speedo side and watched it while I drove. It was not turning, and I had the drive side in as best as I could get it. Any suggestions as to what to try next? Thanks!

Old Henry    -- 08-28-2013 @ 5:51 PM
  It sounds like the gear on the drive line. You could do one more test to isolate it to make sure. Hook the cable up to the speedometer and put the other end in your drill chuck and run it. If the speedo works then it's definitely the gear on your drive line that needs work. Not hard to take off with a couple of bolts and check it out.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 08-29-2013 @ 6:40 AM
  I agree with OH. The speedo drive gears are made of plastic, and yours may have lost some teeth. After you unbolt the "turtle" from the torque tube, the gear should snap out for inspection. If it is damaged, replacements are readily available. Examine the gear for a number showing how many teeth it had. You need to know that, or what your rear end gear ratio is, to order the correct gear. You can see the driving gear on the drive shaft thru the hole to be sure that the snap ring has held it in position. Most cars use the 19 tooth gear, while any with the 3:54 rear use the 18 tooth gear, which may require altering the housing. Be careful, the housing is not reproduced, as far as I know.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-29-13 @ 1:35 PM

trjford8    -- 08-29-2013 @ 6:59 AM
  Old Henry, I think he would need to run the drill in reverse so as to not harm the speedo.

Old Henry    -- 08-29-2013 @ 9:22 AM
  I don't know which direction to turn the cable. Both directions can be tried. The direction that doesn't move the speedo needle is the same direction it turns when driving in reverse. No risk to the speedometer. If neither direction moves the needle then the speedometer is broke.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 8-29-13 @ 9:24 AM

Norm    -- 08-29-2013 @ 3:02 PM
  It's simple. Turn the shaft in the same direction you want the needle to move!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6471