Topic: 1935 V8 Ford Deluxe 85 hp engine overheating

tgt4446    -- 08-28-2013 @ 3:40 PM
  My 35 Ford has a newly rebuilt Flathead V8. The car also has a new radiator. The motor runs hot so I took the original thermostat out and ran the car 6 miles and checked the temperature with a thermometer and it checked out at 208 degrees. The outside temp was 88 degrees so it was a hot day, too. I drove 52 mph. Any suggestions?

drkbp    -- 08-28-2013 @ 5:54 PM
  tgt,

I assume it is a 21 stud, regular fan and generator. Did it run hot before the rebuild? How many miles have you driven it so far? What temp thermostats? Check them on the range with the thermometer. New brass radiator? 45 to 50 mph? 3:78?

88 is warm but 208 does seem to be a little bit hot. When you stop the car the temp will climb pretty fast though by the time you get the hood open, etc.

We had another good thread on this cooling situation a month or two ago. There were some very good suggestions made by the forum. Maybe someone will chime in.

However, for starters, I would set the car in the driveway and begin from cool and idle it. Nose it to any breeze, ever so slight, and take your temps over 15 to 20 minutes. This takes dragging brakes, etc. out of it. Don't leave one thermostat in and one out. Don't use 180 degree thermostats either, 160's are what you want. Note the ambient temp.

Tell us what happens. This will only cost you a gallon of gas and you may find there is not very much wrong.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 8-28-13 @ 5:58 PM

tgt4446    -- 08-28-2013 @ 7:25 PM
  Ken the engine is a 21 stud, also it has the old style rebuilt water pumps. All the original guages work in the car, the temperature guage has fluid in it and if I go 3 miles at 50 plus miles per hr the fluid will will go to the top of the guage whether the old thermostats were in or out, these themostats are the original ones that came with the car, I can't determine what temp their rated at, they are about 3 inches long and fit inside the hoses.
P. S. I'am the second owner of this car my Dad was the original.

supereal    -- 08-29-2013 @ 6:31 AM
  Remove both thermostats from the hoses and place them in a pan of water on your stove, along with the thermometer. As the temperature rises, observe the point the each stat opens. From your readings, I suspect one or the other is not opening fully. Very old stats usually become partially or fully defective. Hitting above 200, but below boiling, points to one defective stat, in most cases. Leaving both out and driving the car will tell you if there is a different problem if the temperature rises as before.

CraigTerry    -- 07-28-2014 @ 6:49 PM
  What did you find was the problem?

unclemark    -- 07-28-2014 @ 8:03 PM
  I had various heating troubles with one of my engines only to find out that I had accidentally set the timing on the distributor in the wrong direction, changed that and things got much better.

41 panel & 41 1.5 platform

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6469