Topic: Head Gasket

BIGTERR    -- 08-27-2013 @ 9:00 AM
  Hi everyone, I'm starting to detail my engine compartment on the 47 Merc. Will I disturb the head gasket by taking off the oil filter. I will have to remove 3 head bolts all quite close to each other.
Also I will be using Brad Penn oil 15w-40 in my next oil change, any thoughts?

39topless    -- 08-27-2013 @ 10:18 AM
  You should be ok with head gasket if you replace and torque the bolts before you start the engine again. When you replace the head bolts (studs?), maybe go with a longer one so you can torque the head bolt and use the extra threads to install the oil filter with an additional nut. Assuming you have studs and not bolts. Just a thought.

supereal    -- 08-27-2013 @ 11:29 AM
  If your '47 has a stock engine, it should have studs, not bolts. If any of the studs come out with the nuts, be sure to put sealer on the threaded ends that enter the block. If you torque those (50-60 ft lbs), it is a good idea to also torque the rest on that head side, starting from the ones you just installed, working outward. As for oil, 15W-40 is usually diesel oil. Many of us use 20W-50 oil in the summer months to assist hot idle pressure.

BIGTERR    -- 08-28-2013 @ 11:42 AM
  Sorry shouldn't have used the word bolts, yes I have studs. Good idea about the longer studs. also to torque the rest of the studs would have never thought of that. The Brad Penn 15w-40 is not listed as diesel oil but contains lots of zinc and phosphorus.
Thanks for all your help.

TomO    -- 09-01-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  You really do not need the extra zinc and phosphorus in the oil. When you car was manufactured most oils only contained trace amounts of those chemicals. There are other anti-wear additives in the better grade oils that replace the large amounts of zinc added to relieve the wear of the soft camshafts used in the 50's and 60's cars.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6460