Topic: Throttle Plate Base For EAB Carburator

41-42fordadvisor    -- 08-26-2013 @ 2:22 PM
  My wife Marianne just bought a 1952 Ford Customline Tudor Sedan V-8 automatic transmission. I do have the 1952-1953 Ford book from the V-8 Club. The carburetor on the car is an 8BA which I know is wrong. I have a spare EAB carburetor that came with the car as a spare. The throttle plate base on the 8BA comes out about one inch past the throttle plate base. The throttle plate base on the EAB ends at the end of the throttle plate base. Which throttle plate base is correct for a EAB carburetor? Thank you Fred Killian

TomO    -- 08-27-2013 @ 7:09 AM
  Fred, your question is not clear to me. Could you please post some photos?

Tom

41-42fordadvisor    -- 08-27-2013 @ 10:49 AM
  Tom, I don't know how to post pictures I'm not very good at this computer thing. I'm talking about the throttle body at the bottom of the carburetor part number 9518 which is held on by 3 screws. One of which goes in from the bottom. On the right side of the accelerator pump link goes into one of 3 holes. On the 8BA carburetor on the car now the throttle shaft comes out one inch past the left side of the throttle body. On the EAB carburetor the throttle shaft ends at the end of the throttle body on the left side of the throttle body. I hope this makes it easier to understand. Please let me know if this works out. Fred Killian

supereal    -- 08-27-2013 @ 11:19 AM
  Fred: Attached is a drawing of the EAB carb, correct for 52/53. The 8BA carb was used 49/51. The primary difference is the base, which you know, due to the external linkage connections. Even those are different, whether the carb is on a vehicle with an automatic transmission or not, as a dashpot would be used with the Ford-O-Matic.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 08-27-2013 @ 6:23 PM
  Thank you Bob and I have that same picture in the 1952 Ford Service Book that I own. The carburetor in this picture looks to me like the 1939-1948 carburetor. As the parts 9614 and 9615 for the hand throttle were not used on the 1952-1953 Fords. Plus there is no way of installing those parts or anything else on that one inch of shaft as it is totally smooth all the way around the whole length of the shaft. Also notice that the drawing does not even point out those two parts with a part number. My parts books only covers from 1928-1948 as I've never owned a 1949-1953 Ford. Even when I worked in a service station back in 1967-1968 we only had one customer that owned a flathead V-8. That customer was an old man that owned a real nice 1952 Ford Tudor Sedan. The only work I ever did on it were oil changes, lubes and tune-ups. I'm afraid that I don't remember what that carburetor looked like on the left side. As that was 46 years ago. You are right that there are two different throttle bodies for 52-53 Fords. One for standard shift and one for automatics. Both of the carburetors I have have all the correct hardware for an automatic car. Just that the left side is different on both. I'm sure one is correct for 1949-51 and the other is correct for 1952-53. I just don't know which one belongs on her 1952. Again many thanks and thank you for posting the picture as I'm sure this will help others reading this post to answer this question. Fred Killian

40 Coupe    -- 08-28-2013 @ 4:19 AM
  Fred: Suggest you enable private messages on this web site. You can contact Charlie Schwindler in NY see club roster or V8 Times service offered section, he rebuilds a lot of the 94 carbs. The 94 is sensitive to leaks around the throttle shaft. If you go to "vintage speed" web site they picture the replacement throttle shafts with the extended end, I do not know, what is the original base configuration for the EAB.

TomO    -- 09-01-2013 @ 8:49 AM
  Fred, the truck carburetor uses the longer throttle shaft, but it is machined like the early V-8 throttle shaft.

I believe that you may have an aftermarket over-sized throttle shaft made for a multi carb setup. Speedway Motors sells the over-sized shaft with the long extension on the drivers side.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6457