Topic: Window removal

JDBenner    -- 08-26-2013 @ 12:39 PM
  Can anyone advise about removing the right door window on my 1934 cabriolet so I can replace the glass? I have the handles and upholstery panel off and see eight screws in four pairs that look like they may hold the window mechanism in but I'm a little reluctant to just start pulling it apart any further without some advice. Thanks in advance for any help.

trimboulster    -- 09-12-2013 @ 8:52 PM
  I just replaced the right door window in my '36 Ford coupe today and this info might be of some help to you.
With the door panel removed, look for the following -- a large hole about 2/3 down from the top of the door about 4" wide by 12" long; and a round hole about 1 and 1/4" dia. about 6" from the rear of the door and about half way down from the top of the door.
Now put the window crank handle on and look through the round hole near the back of the door until you see a small nut appear on the large gear. This is the lower stop. The large hole is below, with one hand behind the gear, you can feel the head of a machine screw and with a 3/8" boxed end wrench in the other hand, remove the nut from the machine screw. Now with stop screw removed, the window crank will lower past the stop point and the regulator arms will slide out of the guides. But before this last step, you must remove the guide post near the center of the channel through the large hole. crank the window down until you see the guide post at the top of the large hole. With a flat blade screw driver and a 3/8" boxed end wrench, remove the guide post. When this is done, the window channel and glass can be pushed up to the top of the door and removed. At this time mark the channel front with a permanent marker. The window regulator(with the eight screws) should not have to be removed. THIS IS IMPORTANT, measure the distance from the end of the channel to the end of the glass on both ends and record(making sure you get the front and rear distance, they will probably be different. This channel and glass positioning is critical to the operation of the window.
Install in reverse order after you remove the old glass and clean the channel with a scr*per and wire brush. With some new 1/16" thick window bedding tape, place it on the bottom of the glass dividing an equal amount on each side of the glass and with it extending about I/2" past each end of the channel, place the glass with the top down on a piece of wood. A piece of 2" by 4" about 2' long is good. With the glass on the wood and the tape in place between the channel and the glass gently drive the channel down on the glass with a rubber hammer or a block of wood and a hammer. Start at one end and work your way across. You will probably need a helper and some patience here. Be sure you have the channel on the glass in the right direction. When you have the glass in the channel, it is ready to install in the door through the window opening at the top of the door. Put the front of the window into the opening first in a vertical position and then with the back of the window in the run, slowly raise the front of the glass up into the front run until it is level. Now you are ready to reattach the regulator arms to the channel. Through the large hole lower the channel down until the arm ends are at the inner channel guides slowly work the end rollers into the guides while turning the crank handle to help. When the rollers are in the guides, crank the window up until the large gear with the stop hole appears in the round hole at the rear of the door. Reinstall the window stop screw and nut in the gear and tighten. Now reinstall the guide post to the window channel through the large hole. When this is done lubricate the moving parts with grease.
Raise and lower the window several times before closing everything up.
I hope this helps you with your door glass replacement.

JDBenner    -- 09-20-2013 @ 5:40 PM
  I did get the window out. Thank you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6456