Topic: Bad oil leak in '36 Tudor

Ross6860    -- 08-24-2013 @ 7:37 PM
  I'm new here, and new to antique Fords. I have a '36 Tudor that has not been on the road in a long time. I just got it a few weeks ago and I'm finding all the stuff that doesn't work quite right

I had it out in real traffic for the first time today.

I've noticed in the past what I thought was a pretty bad rear main seal leak, until I was informed this model does not have a rear main seal.

I flushed the engine and changed the oil and didn't see any major leakage. Just some minor dripping and everyone told me my '36 will always leave a mark of some kind, so get used to it.

When I pulled into the garage today, and for whatever time it takes to get out of the car and check to make sure the garage door will close, and come back and shut the car down, I think it dumped about 1/8 cup of oil. It also left a stream of closely-spaced drops coming up the driveway. The oil was coming out of the bell-housing drain hole (the one with the cotter pin in it).

Any sage advice would be appreciated. I don't want to blindly go tearing things apart (but it would not be the first time).

Is there a rear oil gallery plug for the cam or anything at the rear of the block? The later model shows an oil-pump drive cover. I'll assume this version has the same?

I have also read that if I have a labyrinth seal I should only put 4 quarts of oil in the engine, not 5?

Thanks in advance.

supereal    -- 08-24-2013 @ 8:21 PM
  Four quarts is correct. More will overwhelm the rear labyrinth and slinger. The oil gallery plug and oil pump drive cover are behind the flywheel, and can't be accessed with the engine in place.. If either leaks, usually you will have a stream of oil from the clutch cover. I'd bet reducing the oil level will reduce your problem. All old Fords leak engine and/or transmission oil. Observe the engine oil after four quarts. It will likely show "full" on the dipstick.

46fordnut    -- 08-24-2013 @ 8:45 PM
  instead of saying leak...i call it marking its territory..

100 horse running wild

MG    -- 08-24-2013 @ 9:11 PM
  @Ross6860 - Take 'supereal's advise on this one. Every time I used 5 quarts in my '34 and '37, I had the same leakage problem as what you are experiencing. With 5 quarts my dipstick would show the crankcase to be overfilled with the oil level about 1/2 inch above the 'full' mark. Using 4 quarts, the dipstick shows the oil level to be right at the full line on both of my cars. 4 quarts is sufficient with no fear. I'm experiencing no leaks and I'm using 4 quarts of Mobil 1.

This message was edited by MG on 8-25-13 @ 9:10 AM

TomO    -- 08-25-2013 @ 8:12 AM
  You can put 4 quarts of oil in your engine, but will be running about 1 quart low, so you will have to monitor the oil level and top it off when it drops slightly.

Do you have a steep incline on your driveway? If so, you can reduce the oil leakage by backing into your driveway.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6452