Topic: 1936 Ford on Beijing-Paris race

dicker    -- 08-24-2013 @ 12:34 PM
  My 36 Ford 4dr slantback convertible is being considered as an entrant to the 2016 Beijing-Paris Race. Three concerns are the ground clearance, ability to carry an extra spare, and can they put 17" wheels and tires on it.
The buyer is also considering a 1936 Packard with larger wheels, side mounts and a 15" clearance. My car's ground clearance is about 7".

Does anybody have ideas on how to create at least a 12" ground clearance and also accommodate 17" wheels? His plan is to do some serious remedial and update work on the running gear which could include hanging another spare on the back end. The lowest points on the car are the mufflers and the tie rods and linkage.

I would welcome any thoughts you may have in this regard. Many thanks, Dicker

Dick Kurtz

MG    -- 08-24-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  Well, gee dicker,.......between now and 2016 you might want to consider entering the '36 in a couple of the Baja 1000 Races as a means to check it out before it's entered in the Beijing-Paris Race. Entering this race first would be a sure-fire way to determine if your car has enough ground clearance. As a bonus, running the Baja 1000 would determine the integrity of the your cars cooling system. You'll be able to determine how much extra water you will have to haul on the B to P Race. Maybe you can fill the extra spare tire with the extra water. You should be able to get in at least two runs at Baja between now and 2016. Let me know if you need a navigator for either race. You're 80 years old??? Good luck to you........MG

TomO    -- 08-25-2013 @ 8:27 AM
  Dick,

I would hope that you could find another buyer. One that is willing to keep the car as is. There are few phaetons left and the car will be pretty well destroyed in the race.

The buyer should do his own research on suspension modifications as they can be expensive and will affect the handling of the car.

Tom

dicker    -- 08-26-2013 @ 9:32 AM
  You are right about finding a buyer who would keep the car stock which is my preference.

First of all, it is not I who would be doing the race, but a much younger guy and his wife who would buy the car and do any modifications to it. Then, there are support vehicles that accompany the tour with mechanics, water, gas, food and probably a doctor or two. Each car has to carry their own spares and repair parts for their particular car. The car is not a phaeton bur an "all-weather" 4 door convertible. Lastly, if they buy the car and want to modify it for this race, that is their right and privilege.

Thanks for your comments. I realize that it is their responsibility to get the car ready for the race. I'm just trying to get input from our Members to see if they have any thoughts or advice for the "buyer" based on your experience.

Just think, wouldn't Ford Co. be delighted to have an 80 year old car do this race! BTW there are "T"s and"A"s which have already done this race and several 30's Chevrolets, Bentleys, etc.

I did suggest the Great American Race as a dry run

Dick Kurtz

Larry Lange    -- 09-02-2013 @ 10:21 AM
  Seeing the photo of the car, I have to say I would't take it on either the B-P race or the Baja. The car might complete either event if a driver managed things carefully. But convertible sedans are rare, and if I owned one I wouldn't want to risk taking it on a rough international course. Can someone get their hands on a well-equipped "rat rod" to race? When it comes to nice early V-8s, call me conservative.

Larry Lange
Puget Sound Regional Group

supereal    -- 09-02-2013 @ 11:44 AM
  I agree, Larry. From past accounts of the B-P and other long distance races, the cars entered were far from stock from bumper to bumper. Engines are specially built with added provisions for fluids, the suspensions were created for the terrain, etc. Sort of the the "Great American Race", only more so. For a rare model worth fifty grand or more,I hope they find something more suitable. Given the overall cost of these races, the investment may not make a difference, but I'd still want a secure method of payment.as always.

dicker    -- 09-16-2013 @ 5:06 PM
  Thanks, everybody. I think the prospectove buyer opted to buy a 1936 Packard phaeton in fair condition because it had clearance and dual side mounts. I may now have a legitimate buyer.

Dick Kurtz

TomO    -- 09-18-2013 @ 7:17 AM
  I hope that you are success in selling the car to someone that realizes a rare car should be kept as close to stock as possible. Good Luck.

Tom

1934 Ford    -- 09-20-2013 @ 5:50 AM
  Lots of speculation on modifications and ride height is pure speculation. The 1935 Chrysler Airflow that I navigated in 9 Great American Races went on to do the Beiging -Paris Race in the late 90's. With another driver & navigator.
It was stock.
As low as the 36 Ford, and a lot heavier.
Finished third.
Tires were a size larger than normal with 700X16 truck tires, but otherwise bone stock.
I don't thnk Dicker's buyer was to well informed, but that's what makes the race so interesting.
I see nothing wrong woth a stock 36 Ford except they'll need extra fuel tanks for the range between stops.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Larry Lange    -- 09-21-2013 @ 4:28 PM
  Let me agree with Tom. I'm glad to see that such a rare, classy car won't be risked by the rigors of international racing. If I wanted to race a 36 Ford from Beijing to Paris it wouldn't look nearly as good as DIck's, and it would a lot stronger underneath than the original.
Larry Lange

dicker    -- 09-23-2013 @ 11:33 AM
  Having not heard anything further from the prospective buyer, I guess this is a "dead" issue. Thanks, to all for their comments. Dicker

Dick Kurtz

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6449