Topic: 36 Ford Air Cleaner

cab36    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:09 AM
  Would like to know how to remove copper filter from the air cleaner. This air cleaner is not a oil bath type. There is a felt pad in the top that covers the copper filter with 3 supports in place to hold up the felt pad.

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:23 AM
  I am also interested in responses to this question.

drkbp    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:46 AM
  There is about a 1/4" overlap in the hardware cloth and a touch of solder. Unsolder the little overlap and it will come out through the open top as you have it shown.

Probably no real need to re-solder after you replace the copper pad but it would be easy to do. You could probably just bend over a wire on the hardware cloth and do the same thing after you replaced the copper pad.

The copper pad will slide out under the three "spokes". No need to cut anything!

All of our '35-'36 air cleaners are like that.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 8-23-13 @ 9:57 AM

nelsb01    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:49 AM
  The only way that I am aware of (and posted here a while back) is to cut one of the 3 spokes. Do what you have to do to clean, and then wire-feed your cut, grind and file.
Henry was notorious for putting things together with the intent of having to replace, not repair.

You don't mention why you want it out. If it is just to clean, clean it while it is assembled.

JM    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:52 AM
  I have read posts on Fordbarn where some folks cut those three legs at their lower ends to clean the wire mesh and replace the copper filter material. Then they solder or braze the legs back in place. Rather than do this on my '35 air cleaner, I soaked the complete air cleaner in solvent and then air hosed it to dry out the filter. It really cleaned the filter to the point it looked like new, BUT the solvent removed some of the exterior paint, so I wound up removing all the old paint and repainting the entire air cleaner. Looks as good as new now.

John

supereal    -- 08-23-2013 @ 10:40 AM
  Be sure the felt pad is in place and not sagging. The pad can cover the top of the carb enough to prevent the engine from running if not secured.

cab36    -- 08-23-2013 @ 3:07 PM
  Thanks for the information, just want to clean filter it seams like turning it upside down and spray with cab cleaner then after drying mist it with oil and let drain will be the way to go.

keith oh    -- 08-23-2013 @ 3:36 PM
  Service manual says this, Quote, " The top plate or cap and the felt should be removed from the carburetor silencer and the balance of the silencer washed in gasoline. After the gasoline has dried ,dip the screen in engine oil and reinstall. Do not clean or oil the felt."Unquote." Victor W. Page , Early V/8Ford Service Manual.

TomO    -- 08-24-2013 @ 7:56 AM
  I would use mineral spirits instead of Carb cleaner. Some carb cleaners will damage the paint.

Tom

6lucky13    -- 08-29-2013 @ 2:20 PM
  Does anyone know where to get the felt pad insert that sits on top of the air cleaner? I haven't been able to find it. Is there an alternative?

Thanks...Jon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6444