Topic: '36 wiring at bottom of steering column

w1spurgeon    -- 01-18-2010 @ 12:11 PM
  Today I started installing the headlight harness in my '36 Tudor Sedan. When I removed the aluminum box at the bottom of the steering column I was surprised to find it full of lubricant. It looks to be grease. Can this be right? I always thought of this piece as an electrical junction box. I understand there is movement in there, but isn't grease an electrical conducter? Do I need to find a special insulating, non-conducting grease? Everything in this area of the car is covered with layers of grease and/or oil, so maybe it's supposed to be dry. Any help would be appreciated.

flatheadfan    -- 01-18-2010 @ 2:03 PM
  The bulb should be dry. If it isn't, it could be a lot of things but high on the list is the juncture of the brass tube and the flat steel plate that the retention spring attaches to (holds the harness bulb to the column). If there is a break in this solder joint (a common occurrence), grease inside the steering gear will migrate into the bulb harness when heat from the exhaust manifold is radiated to the steering gear allowing the grease to liquefy. Just pull out the plate.tube assembly and re-solder the juncture and you should be good to go. As for the grease inside the bulb, it should be throughly cleaned out before a new wiring harness is installed.

Hope this helps.

Tom

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 1-18-10 @ 2:06 PM

w1spurgeon    -- 01-19-2010 @ 10:39 AM
  Fan -

Sorry to be such a pain, but I don't understand your reference to the "plate/tube assembly". I have both pieces of the bulb out, all wires removed, and completely clean. I have gently tugged on everything I can see but nothing else wants to come apart. Is the assy you are referring to inside the bulb or inside (or outside) of the steering shaft? The area where the retention clip fits on the column appears to be a solid part of the column itself.

flatheadfan    -- 01-19-2010 @ 2:02 PM
  Enclosed are three pictures which show what I am talking about. The tube assembly is from a '35-'36. The black arrow showswhere leaks typically develop.

Hope this helps.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 01-19-2010 @ 2:03 PM
  Picture #2

flatheadfan    -- 01-19-2010 @ 2:04 PM
  Picture #3

w1spurgeon    -- 01-22-2010 @ 2:07 PM
  Tom - Is there a tool I need to extract the plate, spring and tube from the steering column? I tried my best (gently) but can't get the thing to move. Do I remove the 4 screws at the bottom of the steering column to get them out?

w1spurgeon    -- 01-22-2010 @ 2:07 PM
  Tom - Is there a tool I need to extract the plate, spring and tube from the steering column? I tried my best (gently) but can't get the thing to move. Do I remove the 4 screws at the bottom of the steering column to get them out?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=644