Topic: To tow or not to tow.

39topless    -- 08-20-2013 @ 4:11 PM
  I have a 39 conv coupe that I need to relocate from southern Montana to Denver. I have a new chev SUV with a 5,000 lb tow package. Would I be crazy to rent a car hauler from (Uhaul?)and tow it back? The alternative are car transport guys and they want about $500 open carrier and $750 closed. Plus you never know when they will be able to pickup. Any advise?
Thanks, Phil

35fordman    -- 08-20-2013 @ 4:32 PM
  I just hauled a 54 Chev pickup 3000 miles on a u-haul carrier. Spokane Wa to N. Carolina. No problems, worked out good for me. Use the uhaul website to see if they approve the weight for your towing vehicle. The other thing to remember is gas is expensive( I paid in the $3.70 range out in that part of the country two weeks ago) and you don't get great mileage towing that much weight. Just something to consider when looking at what the transport companies charge.

kubes40    -- 08-20-2013 @ 6:28 PM
  If you go with U-Haul, please, for your sake check the trailer CAREFULLY. U-Haul has a terrible record of extremely poor maintenance on their equipment.
Your truck will handle it but won't like it. A 5000# tow capacity is very light.

MICHV8    -- 08-20-2013 @ 7:44 PM
  Call Western Distribution 303-876-2192 and talk to Paula. They are based in CO. and I have used them many times. They are great with the best price and super nice trucks and drivers. Tell her Don from Seattle sent you

trjford8    -- 08-20-2013 @ 8:08 PM
  $750 for a closed hauler is not a bad price. I would use a hauler before I would chance the U-Haul trailer. If something breaks on the U-Haul you may get stuck in a place where it may take a day or two to get you another trailer. The $750 guarantees delivery from door to door and it's enclosed. With bad weather and or fires it would make sense to have the car in an enclosed carrier.If you have a nice '39 convertible the added expense is well worth it to protect your investment. '39 converts aren't cheap or easy to replace.

fla48    -- 08-21-2013 @ 12:26 PM
  I have towed my 48 on a u-Haul trailer, with a setup similar to what you have. I towed it over 600 miles. Their new trailers are lightweight and are in better shape than the old ones. My Avalanche did not know the trailer and car was back there, towed very easily and did not kill my gas millage that much. However if your car is in pristine condition, you might want it in an enclosed carrier. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

TomO    -- 08-22-2013 @ 6:57 AM
  Unless you regularly tow a trailer, I would go with the enclosed transport. There are so many things that can go wrong when towing a trailer and with a rare 39 Convertible, it is not a good idea to take chances.

Tom

39topless    -- 08-22-2013 @ 11:16 AM
  Thanks for the suggestion. I did contact them about ten days ago and am still waiting to hear if they can help me. I'll try again.

39topless    -- 08-22-2013 @ 11:31 AM
  Thanks to all for the excellent advise. I would drive it down here but don't have the controls for the Columbia. Too far to drive at 45 MPH.
You've convinced me to go with a commercial carrier.
Thank you all again. Phil

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6436