Topic: Wiring harness

silverchief    -- 08-20-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  I have a 49 flathead in my 46 coupe. Otherwise stock. Thinking about ordering a wiring harness. I believe they changed location of the coil in 49. Any other design changes that would effect design of the harness?

supereal    -- 08-20-2013 @ 12:44 PM
  The '48 wiring harness is designed to reach the coil at a position atop the engine, but should serve the rest of your '46. The ballast resistor should be bypassed if you are used the later round coil. Be aware that some aftermarket wiring harness are designed for several years, which can complicate installation.

silverchief    -- 08-28-2013 @ 2:51 PM
  Thanks Bob,
I would buy from Rhode Island Wiring who I understand are pretty much on top of things. My engine has the round coil.By "ballast resistor" are you taking about the resistor mounted up under the dash?

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:38 PM
  If it has the long round coil, it likely has a built in resistor, so the ballast under the dash can be bypassed, Bill, as earlier noted. I'm not familiar with Rhode Island Wiring, but I see them frequently mentioned. Rewiring is a long, tough job, at least for me.

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:39 PM
  If it has the long round coil, it likely has a built in resistor, so the ballast under the dash can be bypassed, Bill, as earlier noted. I'm not familiar with Rhode Island Wiring, but I see them frequently mentioned. Rewiring is a long, tough job, at least for me.

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:39 PM

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:41 PM
  That is the one, Bill. Most, if not all, long round coils don't need the ballast on the firewall.

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:42 PM
  That is the one, Bill. Most, if not all, long round coils don't need the ballast on the firewall.

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 7:42 PM

supereal    -- 08-30-2013 @ 8:43 PM
  I don't stutter. The server is a bit wonky tonight and doesn't give the usual receipt notice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6431