Topic: Replacing Wheel Studs

MOXIE    -- 01-18-2010 @ 10:12 AM
  The 5 threaded studs that hold the wheel to the rear drum need to be replaced on my 35 ford car. I know I cannot do this but can someone tell me how they are installed. Is it a press fit. I will be taken the hub to a machine shop, but most likely they have never seen a 35 drum, so I would like to give them some information of how to install.

supereal    -- 01-18-2010 @ 11:54 AM
  The wheel studs are pressed out and replacements pressed into place using an arbor press. They are held in place by a serrated shank, and prevented from turning by an inside head with a flat on the side. There was a change between the 32-35 and 36-39, so be sure you have the correct studs for your car. It is likely B-1107. If the OD is .56", they are for a later car. Depending upon the condition of the drum, if the serrated portion doesn't fit tightly, the head of the stud should be tack welded in place. If the stud comes loose, the drum will have to be removed to get the wheel off, not likely along the road in case of a flat tire. A good shop will know how to press the studs, as the drum must be supported to prevent warping or breakage. Some take a lot of pressure, and come out with a bang.

MOXIE    -- 01-18-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  Super, on the other forum it was suggested that the studs are a slight press fit into the
hub flange, but are actually secured by being
"swaged" at the top of the shoulder and down
against the drum. This requires a swaging
tool. I'm sure no shop around here has the tools for this procedure. Does anyone know who I can send drum to.

supereal    -- 01-19-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  That is why we recommend tacking the head of the studs with a bit of weld. Swaging is like riveting, where the shank of the stud is forced outward by compression. In most cases, the hole in the drum has eroded over time, and the knurled portion of the stud is too small to fit tightly. The process of swaging required a tool that was screwed down over the threads to prevent damage caused by a swelling of the the threaded portion when the stud was pressed or hammered into place. The shop that does the pressing of the studs should be able to secure any that are not secure.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=643