Topic: Amps

sunflower    -- 08-17-2013 @ 10:00 AM
  Hi, I have a 1935 Ford 6V poitive ground 3 brush generator stock engine. I have a new Fun Projects regulator on top of the generator.
My problem is that when the car is idling if I turn on the lights it shows a discharge. While the car is idling the needle stays at zero and does not go above zero. It does not show it is charging.At a fast idle my battery's voltage comes up to 6.5. Is this normal?
I tried moving the third brush but no matter how I advance it by turning the third brush clockwise from the front of the car it does not change the amp needle.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance, sunflower

supereal    -- 08-17-2013 @ 11:12 AM
  I'm not familiar with that brand of regulator, but discharge at idle when the lights are on is normal. Headlights draw the second largest amount of current after the starter. A real regulator matches system demand with generator output. When the generator output is lower than the battery, it opens the circuit. When the generator output rises above the battery level, it turns on and charges the battery. Maxiumum charging voltage is about 7.5 volts in the six volt system. Anything higher will cause battery damage. Normally, moving the third brush affects output. Put a voltmeter from ground to the generator output post and observe the voltage as you move the brush with the engine at a high idle to close the cutout. If it rises and falls as the brush is moved, the generator is likely OK, and the "regulator" is affecting the output. For the most part, ordinary volt-ohm meters can't handle much current, so setting output with a voltmeter instead of the ammeter is easier. The three brush generator in your '35 should use a simple cutout relay instead of an actual regulator, so what you have is probably not correct.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-17-13 @ 11:28 AM

drkbp    -- 08-19-2013 @ 6:41 PM
  sunflower,

Go to Fun Projects web site. John Regan is the man to talk to. He has complete instructions under that item 10505R-V8 on line. They have the cutouts for 6 or 12v and positive or negative ground, script or non script Ford.

How did you get the cut out without John's instructions? The cutouts he makes work on all Fords from 1919 to 1939 that have them. It's a voltage regulator that looks exactly like a cut out (show wise) protects the generator and regulates the rate of charge. Proven product but don't fail to follow the instructions.

It is made to do exactly what you are trying to do, but don't max out the third brush.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 8-19-13 @ 6:57 PM

35ford    -- 08-20-2013 @ 5:22 AM
  I have a 35 Ford with a Fun spot Regulator and like it. I have a radio also and once set up it adjusts for lights and or radio switched on or off. kerk

spot

sunflower    -- 08-20-2013 @ 9:29 AM
  Update:
I have no problem with Fun Projects product. My problem is that when the car is moving the needle on the amp guage remains at zero. Also, when the car is running and I apply my brakes it shows a very little discharge. When I turn on the lights I,also, get a discharge which is correct.The battery is well charged so is something wrong with my amp meter because it does not show a charge when I am riding. It remains at zero.
I hope I made myself clear.
Thank you,S

supereal    -- 08-20-2013 @ 12:23 PM
  It appears that the "regulator" is not properly installed. I am attaching a diagram of the '35 system. Note that one side of the ammeter is attached to the battery via the starter switch. The other side is attached to the ignition switch and the fuse block via the yellow wire, and also to the generator cutout via a yellow/black wire. Apparently, when the aftermarket "regulator" was added, the output bypassed the ammeter and went directly to the battery. The ammeter reflects all discharges in the system except the starter and the horn when correctly connected.

TomO    -- 08-22-2013 @ 7:17 AM
  I would check the voltage output of the generator before I worried about the reading of the ammeter. You should have 7.2 - 7.6 Volts at the battery when the engine is running at about 1,200 rpm. If you have that, your charging system is working correctly.

The ammeter just show the current flow in the car.

If your battery is fully charged, there will be no current flow from the generator to the battery, but the voltage will be in the 7.2-7.4 range. In this case the ammeter would be at 0.

If your battery is not fully charged, you will have current flow from the generator to the battery and the ammeter should show a positive reading.

Tom

sunflower    -- 08-22-2013 @ 9:54 AM
  Thank you all for responding all very helpful,I am still checking things out.sunflower

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6421