Topic: radiator to frame bolt

fordmerc    -- 08-16-2013 @ 5:23 AM
  Is the nut on top, bolt head down or vice-versa?
I am confused by apparent discrepancies amongst the Parts List diagram (which is unclear), the 1938-39 Ford Book and parts catalogs. I see no logical preference, but I'd like to do it the way Henry intended.

kubes40    -- 08-16-2013 @ 6:01 AM
  Bolt went in from the bottom - upwards. Hence, nut is atop the radiator flange.

supereal    -- 08-16-2013 @ 10:57 AM
  Mike: I don't suppose it makes a big difference, but the cars usually have the bolt enter from the top thru the foot of the radiator, then the rubber pad, and on to the spring, nut, and cotter pin. The trucks have the bolt from the bottom, with the spring on the top of the foot. This is the way the green book shows them. I've seen too many without the spring which prevents any frame twisting from pulling the radiator apart.

kubes40    -- 08-16-2013 @ 12:10 PM
  It's always a good idea to keep in mind that parts books have artist drawn illustrations not necessarily indicative of how a car was assembled.
It is certain that the bolt went upwards, the spring, washer and slotted nut atop the radiator "foot".

supereal    -- 08-16-2013 @ 3:22 PM
  I agree, as it usually takes two people to install the radiator, one underneath holding the bolt in place, and another to install the spring and nut. I've found them both ways, probably because from the top was chosen when there was no help around. I don't know why the "official" drawings don't always agree, but often they are the only resource available.

kubes40    -- 08-16-2013 @ 4:00 PM
  Then, like now, there was little concern for later servicing. The emphasis was placed on production efficiency.
It would have been easier for ONE man to push the bolt up from the bottom, slide the spring, washer and nut in place on the assembly line.

Later, servicing the car, I could see why a person would place the bolt in from the top. the fenders, etc. being in the way to easily install same from the bottom.

Super, trust me on this one... factory installed, bolt from the bottom - upwards.
Respectfully, Mike

supereal    -- 08-16-2013 @ 6:25 PM
  Of course I trust you, I was pointing out the difference between advice and the info in the printed matter. No disrespect intended. Installing the radiator on the line before the front clip arrived was certainly less difficult than leaning over the fender later. I have seen lots of radiators firmly bolted to the frame, setting up a "time bomb" for a serious problem out on the road.

Stroker    -- 08-16-2013 @ 7:42 PM
  I trust all of you. I've wrenched on many early Fords in the past 60 years that have not been subject to major frame-off "reconstructions" however. I don't recall ever seeing a lower radiator mounting that didn't have the bolt passing up through the bottom, with the spring and castle nut/cotter pin on top. Now having said that, my aviation mechanic training would say that bolts should be installed in such a way that if the nut falls off, the bolt will remain in place. So.....If I were building a car (or airframe) from scratch, I'd put the bolt in from the top. In this case, we are simply trying to replicate how "Henry Built Them". Functionally, it doesn't make any difference, as long as the spring is placed on top of the lower radiator tab to allow for frame flexure.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6414