Topic: Barn fing

supereal    -- 08-15-2013 @ 7:02 PM
  One of our customers located a legitimate "barn find", a tudor Ford that had been left in a garage since the late fifties. It is complete, and was covered with junk in an old woman's garage. When it came in on a flatbed, I thought it was a '38, with the heart shaped grill, etc. The registration said '39 standard, and it has hydraulic brakes, obviously factory installed. It has one taillight. Other than dulled black paint and some delaminated glass, it is complete. Anyone else see one like that that? The engine was stuck, so the owner wants one of our 59A's . We suspect it was a very late '38 or a very early '39.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-15-13 @ 7:04 PM

MG    -- 08-16-2013 @ 2:15 AM
  I would believe what is indicated on the registration. The '39 Standard looked very similar to the '38 Deluxe. The hydraulic brakes is the clincher that it is a '39 and the single taillight that it is a Standard.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 08-16-2013 @ 7:38 AM
  Supereal,It sounds like to me that you have a 1939 Ford Standard.They also usually have only one windshield wiper and one interior sun visor. Fred Killian

TomO    -- 08-16-2013 @ 7:47 AM
  If the paint is not cracking or peeling the shine can be brought back with a paint polish. It sounds like a pretty nice 39 standard.

Tom

Lenny    -- 08-16-2013 @ 8:56 AM
  1936 3 window, knee deep in horse s#!t.
Upstate NY

supereal    -- 08-16-2013 @ 10:45 AM
  Thanks. guys. Yes, the car is titled as a '39 standard, but the grille, hood, and trim seemed different from any '38 I have seen.I looked it up in the back of the green book, which confirms is is, indeed,a 91A. We have done other cars for this owner, a '40 coupe and a '46 tudor, both of which now have late engines and drive trains. He plans to keep this "survivor" all stock, as it is too perfect to alter. As with all "barn finds" this one will require replacement of tires, brakes, aznd some glass. The original engine was stuck, so a 59AB will go in.

trjford8    -- 08-16-2013 @ 1:14 PM
  Bob, is the original motor not a "saver"? Or is it a V-8 60? If it's an "85" and the block is good that motor is not much different than the 59A and would be the original engine.
The paint can be saved by using a Meguiar's product called "Color Back". I've used it on the old black paint on my '41 pickup and it does a great job.

kubes40    -- 08-16-2013 @ 3:07 PM
  Fred, It's true one visor was the norm for 39 standards, all were equipped with two wipers.

supereal    -- 08-16-2013 @ 3:14 PM
  We would have liked to have saved the original 85 engine, Tom, but it was beyond reclamation. It look as if the car was driven into the garage and shut down for over 40 years. The family that owned it said "it just quit running". The new owner asked for the 59A transplant, and I was glad he didn't want to rod it as in the past with his other cars. I'm happy it didn't have the 60, as it probably wouldn't have been saved. I always preach preservation but, as we well know, that has been going out of style for a long time. I'll mention the "Color Back" to him, as the original paint is in better than average shape.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6412