Topic: Anyone used Acoustishield?

rbone    -- 08-15-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  Finally ordered new upholstery kit for my '34 tudor from LeBaron Bonney. They are offering me an Acoustishield kit for ~$500. I am interested in something like this to make the car a little more driver friendly. Has anyone used this stuff? If so, is it any better than just installing the bubble radiant barrier I can get a the big hardware stores?

While the car is basically original, I drive the car 1-2X/month and don't ever intend to show it. I just enjoy it with my family and friends.

Thanks,
Ron

kubes40    -- 08-15-2013 @ 4:39 PM
  Ron, I have used both Acustashield and the foil wrapped air pockets available at the hardware store.
I have come to the conclusion for sound deadening, you won't note any difference between the two.
I would strongly advise you stay away from the Accustashield. NOT a single reason to warrant that kind of cost other than it is easier to install than the bubble wrap stuff.
I use 3M contact cement for the wrap. Started using that stuff 20+ years ago and not one piece has come loose.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 08-15-2013 @ 5:54 PM
  Check with Summit Racing. They have comparable stuff to Acoustishield or Dynamat for a lot less money.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-16-2013 @ 6:53 AM
  I have been more than pleased with the Dynamat. It is available in several thicknesses and sizes and it works!

joe b    -- 08-16-2013 @ 9:05 AM
  When I did my '41 Ford upholstery I used Dynamat. I lined the entire interior panel by panel and the roof.
I lived in Southern Ca. at the time and was amazed at how much cooler the interior was,especially crawling in after it sat at a car show for hours. Like Kube I used the contact cement. It has been 16 years and everything is still in place.

Ross6860    -- 08-24-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  I use a product call GT Mat. EBay from a guy in Texas. Used it in my Silverado and my Torino, and I'll be putting it in my '36 Tudor. No issues.

It's all the same stuff under different names. If you know a roofer you can probably get it even cheaper than Gt Mat.

You can get GT Mat in butyl, or non-butyl, different thicknesses, rolls, squares, etc.

It's about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Dynamat or Hushmat, or any of the big names.

I use a product call GT Mat. EBay from a guy in Texas. Used it in my Silverado and my Torino, and I'll be putting it in my '36 Tudor. No issues.

It's all the same stuff under different names. If you know a roofer you can probably get it even cheaper than Gt Mat.

You can get GT Mat in butyl, or non-butyl, different thicknesses, rolls, squares, etc.

Ross6860    -- 08-24-2013 @ 7:25 PM

Ross6860    -- 08-29-2013 @ 4:13 PM
  Wow!

I in no way intended to post the same response multiple times.

I have no idea what happened.

Sorry about that...

joe b    -- 08-30-2013 @ 2:01 PM
  Ross
To err is human
but to really screw things up
requires a computer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6410