Topic: Ford heater question

49fordv8f4    -- 08-11-2013 @ 1:50 PM
  I have a Ford heater amongst my parts that I am curious to identify. It is about the same size and shape as a 42-48 three door heater. The cover that would have the three doors is aluminiun instead of steel and has a grey hammertone finish. Instead of having doors it has an open front with a pierced Ford script in an oval centered width wise but in the bottom third of the opening. There are three narrow bars vertical and two horizontal to support the Ford oval. It has two defroster tubes out the top and a rectangular heat outlet on the drivers side. The rectangular outlet looks like it had a cardboard duct stapled to it at one time. It also has a single speed motor. I'm sure it probably came in one of the 42-48 cars or parts cars I have or have had but I'm not sure what it actually belongs in.
Thanks, Mark Poley

trjford8    -- 08-11-2013 @ 8:09 PM
  Without a photo it is hard to tell what it is for. By your description I suspect it may be for a truck.

ford38v8    -- 08-11-2013 @ 9:54 PM
  An aluminum front suggests that it may have been manufactured post war when shortages dictated substitution.

Alan

49fordv8f4    -- 08-12-2013 @ 6:53 AM
  Here is a photo of the heater.
Thanks, Mark

TomO    -- 08-12-2013 @ 8:19 AM
  I saw a heater like that in an 42-47 Ford truck back in the early 1950's. I still can't tell the years apart.

Tom

trjford8    -- 08-14-2013 @ 7:59 PM
  It's a Ford truck heater. I suspect it's 42-47.

49fordv8f4    -- 08-17-2013 @ 2:59 PM
  Thanks for the replies. We can use the heater in my son's '47 tonner when we are able to work on it. Does anyone know what the duct looks like that was stapled to the outlet hole in the left side? The '46 tonner brochure that I have shows a three door heater like the cars used, so Ford must of had more than one heater available as an option.
Thanks again, Mark

Stenny    -- 08-19-2013 @ 9:01 AM
  There should be a door located inside the rectangular opening. This is operated by a Bowden cable to regulate the flow of heat to either the defroster or the heat vents. I don't know what kind of tube was connected to this vent. I have this heater in my '39 pickup and would recommend using a rheostat type switch to control the fan speed. These heaters really work in a small cab and I rarely use the fan except to clear the windshield. I would also recommend a shut-off on the heater hose to control the flow of coolant in the summer months. That big heater core will heat the cab with ambient heat unless it is denied a heat source.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6395