Topic: New scammer tactic or legitimate?

37 Coupe    -- 08-10-2013 @ 7:48 AM
  I placed an ad yesterday morning in the Parts Wanted catagory and didn't have to wait long for its approval to be posted. Actually I knew it was posted because I got an email from a Frank B Flores Floes Spares Outlet,Chino Ca. USA. His message only stated "I am emailing you with respect to your advert.Please let me know if you are still in need of the above and I'll get back to you.What's your phone# ?. Nobody by that name in roster in Calif. The scammers must have a program that immediately receives V8 Club want ads.

Stroker    -- 08-10-2013 @ 8:37 AM
  37 Coupe: The wording: "with respect to your advert" is typical of the Nigerian spammer. I'd
say it is a "fishing expedition".

supereal    -- 08-10-2013 @ 10:45 AM
  I agree with Dan. I never give out phone numbers or any other data unless I initiate the call. With a phone numer. a scammer can do a "reverse phone lookup" and get your address,etc. I don't know how one got my name and phone a couple of weeks ago. We received a phone call from someone who said "This is your grandson, and I was riding in a car that the cops stopped. The driver had drugs on him, and I got arrested, too. Please send $2,700 so I can post bond". I guess it wasn't a smart scammer, as I could see the number on my caller ID, and it had no resemblence to the correct area code, nor did the caller sound anything like my very young relative. I hung up and called the number on the ID and found that it was not a working phone! I suspect they target old people, so beware!

keith oh    -- 08-10-2013 @ 1:29 PM
  Super, I got a call nearly exactly the same call concerning my grandson in S. Carolina. He even gave me instructions on how to go to Walmart and send bail money to him and wanted to know how long it would take me to get there. I told him as long as it takes Hell to freeze over.

lazy69ranch    -- 08-10-2013 @ 7:53 PM
  I received an email from the same "Flores" scammer regarding my want ad for parts. He said he had the parts I wanted and gave me a price but said he only accepted wire transfer or moneygram. His approach was not the usual "UK" email scam attempt as he called me "buddy" and said he was from Chino. Stay clear of this scammer.

supereal    -- 08-10-2013 @ 8:18 PM
  Thanks, Keith. One of my relatives lost five grand to the old "crooked bank teller" scam. We are being beseiged with these kind of attacks. As our members are often getting up in years, all should on alert. Sign of the times, I suppose.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6393