Topic: Stuck in 3rd, Wheels won't roll

TonyM    -- 08-04-2013 @ 10:10 AM

Went for a ride this morning in my 1937 Ford 85hp and when I was attempting to shift up to third just after rounding a shallow corner the car skidded to a halt. The car is now stuck in third gear and I can't get the shift lever to move. The car will not roll on the rear wheels.

Car has been towed with great care to my house about 1.5 miles away. I need to get it unstuck so I can get the car back to my storage place then I can start fixing. I will get under it later on and try and see what is up and perhaps even repair it. If not, I need to get the car back to the garage and drop the trans and rear end. Would like to at least get it unstuck so it can roll.

When I first took off in the morning, there was a lot of clutch chatter in first, but seemed to settle down with time. The car performed excellent last night but this morning I am stuck in third gear and the car won't roll. What should I look for? Any obvious culprits to point to? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

78-73B

supereal    -- 08-04-2013 @ 11:41 AM
  Pull the floorboards, then remove the top from the transmission. You should be able to then move the sliding gear (the one with the big groove for the shift fork) to disengage it from third gear. From your description, I would suspect that the blockers in the shift tower that prevent getting into two gears at one are jammed, or the ball end of the lever, itself, is either badly worn or broken. Be sure that the shift lever cover is firmly scr*w*d to the tower. If the transmission is engaged in two gears at once, the rear axle would be locked so you can't move it. When you remove the shift tower observe the position of the forks so you can reinstall the tower correctly. If you can't move the high/intermediate gear, it is likely the synchronizer inside the hub is broken or stuck, which will require remove of the transmission from the car.

TonyM    -- 08-05-2013 @ 5:28 AM
  Thanks

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 8-5-13 @ 5:51 AM

TonyM    -- 08-05-2013 @ 8:14 AM
  Cooked!!!

Drained the trans oil this A.M. Found metal in the trans oil. Here is a photo of the two largest pieces; the rest are very, very small shavings. The trans oil has a sheen on it like brown metal flake paint. When I take off the top cover, will I still be able to line up the innards to get back in neutral? I need to get this car back to the garage so I can work on it proper.

78-73B

TomO    -- 08-05-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  Tony,

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. I was hoping to see your car at the picnic.

You may be able to get the transmission in neutral when you take off the top cover. The bad news is that a piece of the broken gear tooth may be locking your transmission, and that will have to be corrected before you can shift the gears.

Tom

TonyM    -- 08-05-2013 @ 8:50 AM
  Tom I was hoping to bring it to the picnic too. I hope to get it all back together and running this autumn and be ready for the Springfield Meet.

78-73B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6376