Topic: Float level

silverchief    -- 08-03-2013 @ 10:52 AM
  Wish I had a dollar for every word devoted to that subject on our forum. Replacing soft tip needle valve with all steel original for my 46 solved one major headache. Deciding to check and adjust float level resulted in another. Previously engine would start cold (with choke) or hot on 1/4 turn. Now it cranks before starting when hot, but does better if I pump once on the accelerator - with a hot engine no less.
Good smooth acceleration when driving.
Checked fuel level after shutoff. At least one half inch in bottom of bowl, well below 11 16ths from the top. (Tom O) Should I try again or leave well enough alone?

supereal    -- 08-03-2013 @ 2:42 PM
  My usual responsen is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Every old Ford starts and runs somewhat diffently from all others. I'm attaching a pic of my old float gauge that I've used for years. When properly adjusted by bending the tab that pushes the needle until the float fits the gauge with the carb upside down.

TomO    -- 08-03-2013 @ 5:52 PM
  The float level should not affect starting,unless the fuel level is too high. If the fuel level is too low, you will notice it at high speeds and on turns.

I use a homemade float gauge that removes the effect of tipping the cardboard gauge from side to side. One of them is made from a 1/2" thick piece of wood with a "go" adjustment on one end and a "no go adjustment on the other end. the other one is a piece of metal with the bottom bent 90 degrees to give a resting place to keep the gauge perpendicular to the float.

Check your plugs after a 30 minute drive and again after a 5 min idle. they should be clean. if they are black you are running rich, if they are wet, your carb is leaking.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-3-13 @ 5:54 PM

silverchief    -- 08-06-2013 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks Bob - I made a cardboard gauge using your template couple of years ago and still have it. Problem is my float is too large to slip into opening. I have an Autolite carb.

silverchief    -- 08-06-2013 @ 10:29 AM
  Thanks Tom. Car runs OK but best with choke about one half inch out. No stall on sharp turns or quick stop -
which I assume would indicate low fuel level.
but it has never had that problem. I'm going to do the plug check you suggested.

supereal    -- 08-06-2013 @ 2:53 PM
  Bill: the important part of the gauge is the long part. The float doesn't have to fit in the gap. I made the gauge way back when oil cans were actually made of metal, as the printing on my gauge shows. If it runs better with the choke partially pulled out, that would seem to indicate that the fuel supply to the carb may be weak, or there is a restriction within the carb, limiting delivery. I 'm not always a believer in fuel pressure tests, as that may not indicate volume. The use of the choke is to enrich fuel delivery by raising intake vacuum to pull more fuel from the bowl into the manifold. There is a limited amount of fuel in the carb bowl at any time because the float fills most of the space. An incorrect or defective power valve should also be considered. It is supposed to enrich the fuel mixture when manifold vacuum is low, such as a heavy pull or acceleration.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-6-13 @ 8:30 PM

TomO    -- 08-07-2013 @ 6:47 AM
  I agree with Supereal, check your fuel delivery. You may have a restriction in the fuel line or pickup tube in the tank.

To check fuel delivery, you need a graduated 16 ounce or larger container to determine the amount of fuel delivered in a measured time. Disconnect the fuel pump line from the carburetor and direct it into a graduated container. Crank the engine long enough to get 2 ounces of gas in the container and then continue cranking for 15 more strokes of the pump. The pump should have delivered 6 more ounces of gas.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 08-07-2013 @ 3:03 PM
  Make a new gauge with an old credit card,last forever.I set floats at 1 7/16 upside down on the bench.ken ct.

silverchief    -- 08-10-2013 @ 9:56 AM
  Thanks guys. My carb has a metal tag attached that reads Autolite - followed by a number ending in F.
I went online - and working through various carburetor websites I came up with a tech affiliated with Holley. He advised Autolite was bought out by Holley eons ago, and the tag number is simply a Ford part number - that the carb is actually a Holley carb. He gave me a float setting of l and l/4 inch which seems to be working fine. Car starts again on one quarter turn. Pulled the plugs to clean off soot accumulated from over rich float settings I was trying. Found trace amounts of gas on three plugs. Car is starting and running fine, so I'm just going to pretend I didn't see it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6370