Topic: Dash gauges

silverchief    -- 08-02-2013 @ 12:07 PM
  I would like to access the dash gauges on my 46. Does the trim covering them bolt through the dash - or is it simply snapped into place?

Thanks

fla48    -- 08-02-2013 @ 5:55 PM
  I assume it is like the 48 and the trim is attached from the back side of the dash. It can be a bear if it is, as it is attached with slotted screws. I do not remember if the trim has to be removed to remove the gauges, but I do not think so. I would check that possibility first.

supereal    -- 08-02-2013 @ 6:28 PM
  The trim can stay in place when the gauges are removed from the rear. It is a tough job due to limited access. When I had to pull the gauges in my '47, I hoped not to have to repeat the job. There is a cork gasket the separates the gauge glass from the dash, and to this day, I can see a bit of it where it slipped, but not enough to lay on my back and fix it. Be sure and tag the wires as you remove them. It will save much time in putting it all back together.

silverchief    -- 08-03-2013 @ 7:48 AM
  Supereal - if I decide to rewire my car - is it also "a bear" leaving the gauges in place and removing the old wires/ attaching the new?

trjford8    -- 08-03-2013 @ 7:52 AM
  If you don't mind laying on your back for a while and using good light, it can be done. It makes it a lot easier if you unbolt and remove the front seat.

supereal    -- 08-03-2013 @ 9:43 AM
  Tom's got it right. Most of us old guys don't bend well enough to spend hours on that job. It is better to rewire with the gauges in place to be sure that the wiring is in the right place and length. Usually, gauge wiring doesn't need to be replaced unless a whole loom is being installed.

silverchief    -- 08-03-2013 @ 10:24 AM
  Thanks guys - giving some thought to a complete rewire - after removing the front seat. Waiting for cooler weather and a little courage.

TomO    -- 08-03-2013 @ 6:02 PM
  Don't forget a pillow or cushion to rest your head on.

I find that one of those lights that strap on your head, direct the light better than any trouble light. I use the trouble light for general lighting and the headlight to light up where I am working.

Tom

47fordsuperdeluxe    -- 08-09-2013 @ 10:04 AM
  Hi, Im new to this site and have just seen this post. I've just rewired my whole car (including the dash) I would agree with leaving the gauges in place, use a good quality head torch that you can change the angle of, lots of pillows on the floor and wait for a good day.
It is a little tight behind the dash, I tried to take one wire off, put one wire on but to be honest with your extra loom sitting there half fitted it becomes a nightmare. I reckon some people will disagree but this worked for me, I disconnected and removed the whole loom, then started at the fuse box and worked from the steering wheel, through the gauges towards the centre on the car, this has the added advantage of not copying other peoples mistakes over the last 60+ years as well! I used a loom from Macs and the diagram is pretty easy to read. Take plenty of breaks and as it takes its toll on your neck and back!
Also because I live in the UK, my 47 ford super deluxe was factory right hand drive so I had to extend every wire as the looms only come as left hand drive units.............nice!
I'm not an electrician but I was pretty sure that when I connected the battery nothing wash going to go bang.
You will be massively surprised how many bare wires you will find, I was shocked that my car hadnt caught on fire, I think once you've changed a few wiring looms, you will look at the rest of your car with different eyes!
If you need any help, drop me a message

Old Henry    -- 08-10-2013 @ 6:49 AM
  Unscrew and remove the pedal pads too so you won't be fighting them in your way the whole time.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

silverchief    -- 08-10-2013 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks guys - very helpful. The thing that makes me hesitate is my right side brake and directional signal has been out for some time despite my efforts to fix the problem. Changed bulbs, made doubly sure I have good ground, took directional switch apart, seems fine, hard to use a tester on old brittle wire.
I have the schematic in owner's manual.
I've ordered new tail light wiring complete from Rhode Island, and will take another shot at it when it gets here.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6367