Topic: What are the tires of choice for a 1935 Phaeton?

foto1man    -- 08-01-2013 @ 2:47 PM
  Hello everyone,

I have a 1935 Ford Phaeton and my questions are: Should they be whitewalled or double whitewalled?Should they have the "Ford" script? Should they be "Firestone"? Should the whitewall be 3 inch, 3 1/4 inch or 3 1/2 inch? Where is the best place to purchase a set?

Thanks everyone,
Kenneth

kubes40    -- 08-01-2013 @ 3:28 PM
  Ford did not offer single whitewall tires until very late in 1940. So, either black wall or double whites for your '35. .
Firestone was the main supplier of tires to Ford in 1935. No Ford script tires in 35 either.
Where you purchase is strictly up to you. As far as I know all the 600x16" Firestone, 4 ply tires come from the same mold. So, price, quality service??? You pick...

Model B    -- 08-01-2013 @ 3:30 PM
  Kenneth, Although both single and double whitewall tires are available for the '35...to be correct (if using whitewalls) use the double whitewall tire. This is a non-scripted 6.00 x 16. Firestone would work, but I believe there were several suppliers. Check with Coker Tire in TN.

Pat

foto1man    -- 08-01-2013 @ 6:39 PM
  Thanks for the replies,

I definitely want to use whitewalls. The car now has Firestones that are whitewalls though not double whitewalls. Sounds as though the Ford script is out. You guys have been a great help!

Thanks, Kenneth

This message was edited by foto1man on 8-1-13 @ 6:42 PM

foto1man    -- 08-01-2013 @ 6:42 PM
  Thanks for the reply.
I definitely want to use whitewalls. The car now has Firestones that are whitewalls though not double whitewalls.

Thanks, Kenneth

foto1man    -- 08-01-2013 @ 6:43 PM
  Thanks for the reply.
I definitely want to use whitewalls. The car now has Firestones that are whitewalls though not double whitewalls.

Thanks, Kenneth

foto1man    -- 08-01-2013 @ 6:43 PM
  Thanks for the reply.

Thanks, Kenneth

carguy    -- 08-10-2013 @ 5:51 AM
  I'm hijacking this thread because the topic is appropriate for my question.

How about WSW vs BSW -black sidewall? It seems to me that these cars shown today are almost shown with WSW but pictures of our cars taken back in the day almost always had BSW.

It would seem to me that BSW would be more historically acceptable. I need to put new tires on my '34 so I'm interested in your comments.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

47fordsuperdeluxe    -- 08-10-2013 @ 6:42 AM
  If you have plenty of tread on your single white walls, you could put some white wall inserts on the black side of the tyre...........save a bit of cash for other parts.......just an idea.

1934 Ford    -- 08-10-2013 @ 7:06 AM

Search blackwall/whitewall for the past year on this site and there are plenty of opinions.
Yes, most cars didn't have whitewalls back then, but it was in the middle of the worst depression ever and
the extra expense of whitewalls was and still is a luxury. However, we don't own these cars for daily transportation now and most of us like them to look
sharp. Whitewalls are a form of bling that really helps the otherwise drab colors of the 30's cars.
Notice we take color pictures of our car today as opposed to the correct black & white period correct pictures.
I tease my buddy with the black Model A with black body, black fenders, black tires and a black
pinstripe! Correct, yes, but depressing.

1934 Ford's since 1972

drkbp    -- 08-10-2013 @ 8:17 AM
  foto,

You already have good answers above, including flip the whites inside and run blacks out. However...

If your tires balance well and run good without thumping, etc. I'd drive it the way it is if they seem to be safe or you know anything about the history of the tires. The thumping (sitting too long) will go away if you drive it. I believe the new ones will get that way if you don't drive enough.

With that said, I run a set of Coker double wide whites with Kelsey double X wire wheels on my '35 Cabriolet. Correct? No, but I like the look.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6362