Topic: New Owner

morganthepirate    -- 07-31-2013 @ 11:22 AM
  I have received a 1939 Tudor Deluxe in an inheritance. My dad, the original owner was in a nursing home for 10 years before he died, so the car sat for a long time. Luckily it had Stabil in the gas tank. Most of the water has evaporated and I have sent the radiator for rebuild. I plan on replacing the water pumps and all rubber parts. My question is there a better distributor that I can use than the 2 cap one? Also there is a lot of rust around the hose connection on top of the heads. Is there a good rinse to remove the rust in the engine?

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  Morgan, Welcome to the club! I mean, the Forum, you can join the club when you get around to it.
Your dads '39, gladly, has the best mechanical distributor ever devised by man. A better distributor would be electronic, but those don't fare well under the hood of an early Ford V8, and would also do better with a computerized modern car anyway. You'll do good to have your coil rebuilt by Skip in Florida. Don't even think of a new or even an NOS coil,you'll be disapointed.
The water pumps can be better than original if rebuilt by Skip also. I wouldn't spend the money on repop pumps. Using Skips Hi Flow pumps, you'll need to remove your thermostats.
Your fuel flex line from firewall to fuel pump should be replaced, look for the ad in the V8 Times. You don't need the one with the check valve, though, as the pump itself has a check valve.
Get your carb parts from one of the several good suppliers that post on the Fordbarn, don't waste your money on the kits from the large suppliers.
While your radiator is out and your pumps are off, backflush the block with fresh water as well as you can, block off the pump holes and fill with straight white vinegar, undiluted Forget about the products advertised for this purpose, as the EPA restrictions have made them all but useless. It actually would be best if you could run the engine with the vinegar, but do what you can do. After a week with vinegar, backflush again, and install distilled water with rust inhibitor.
Hopefully, your gas tank and fuel lines will be servicable. The new gas we get really causes a lot of trouble there. If you do need to replace the fuel line, be sure to use the original type, still made by Bundy.
How about some pictures?

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6358