Topic: 1937 Ford starter solenoid

bewley37    -- 07-27-2013 @ 10:53 PM
  I have a 1937 Ford solenoid that has stopped working. It is the type that is mounted on the firewall. It has push button on the bottom so anyone working on the engine could start the car by pushing same button. The button is covered by a screw on cap. I have been told the cap is rather rare as they are usually lost. My question: is there anyone who repairs this type of solenoid. I think it was used from 1937 to 1950. If anyone knows of someone who can repair it please share this info. Thanks

Tom Bewley

40 Coupe    -- 07-28-2013 @ 3:52 AM
  I have taken then apart by knocking the bottom cover off. cleaning the contacts and rotating the stationary contacts around to a fresh side. reinstall the bottom cover by using a small die grinder (Dremmel) to slightly enlarge the inside of the cap, once it goes on to the body then remove and add adhesive such as JB weld and final install. Sometimes the caps for the bottom button are missing but Ford also changed the solenoid to remove the cap and threads by early 38 the new style solenoid without the cover was used and later still, the height of the solenoid was reduced.

bewley37    -- 07-28-2013 @ 12:30 PM
  40 Coupe

Thanks very much for your reply. If I do not ID someone
who repairs solenoids your suggestion will be very helpful.

bewley 37

TomO    -- 07-29-2013 @ 8:12 AM
  You did not say what was wrong with your solenoid. The procedure described by 40 Coupe, will only help if the solenoid picks but does not provide current to the starter. If your solenoid does not pick, the windings are probably shorted or the solenoid plunger is so worn that it catches and does not provide contact.

Look for someone that does small electric motor repair and ask them them if they will repair it.

Tom

bewley37    -- 07-29-2013 @ 2:42 PM
  Thanks Tom for your reply to my question re. 1937 Ford starter solenoid. Good suggestion.

Tom Bewley

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6350