Topic: Battery

Bob56    -- 07-21-2013 @ 2:44 PM
  is there a battery that will fit in the stock position on a 1936 without going to antique battery restoration. It seems the Interstste battery is too tall

kubes40    -- 07-21-2013 @ 4:26 PM
  Obviously originality is not a concern for you. In that case, I would suggest an OPTIMA which can be laid on it's side, upside... anyway you like. You can get a 6v. Optima for about $120. They last an easy 7 - 10 years. Often, longer. Many more CCA's than an acid based battery.

40 Coupe    -- 07-22-2013 @ 4:52 AM
  If you make a tray for the Optima it can be dropped down about 1-1/2 inch and mounted upright using the original battery cables and without any modification to the frame. By removing the original Y-bolts their holes can be used to secure the new tray in place of the old battery.

Bob56    -- 07-22-2013 @ 6:20 AM
  I am all for originality but have not had good luck with antique auto battery. The one in the car now is 2 1/2 years old and I will keep it for showing purposes. Also have one in my 1956 chevy same thing. just looking for something a little more reliable

kubes40    -- 07-22-2013 @ 6:42 AM
  Bob56, You will find that any 6v. acid type battery will last for 2 - 3 years just as the one(s) you have had.
Nature of the beast I am afraid.Yeah, on occasion we get lucky and one goes to fours years. That's bragging rights earned!
The only way to get more longevity is to go with an Optima. Otherwise, you're in the same boat as all of us.

JM    -- 07-22-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  I got about two usefull years from the last 2LF 6V lead acid Ford script battery that I bought from Antique Auto Battery and of course it was way over priced. I switched to Optima after that. Made a tray that mounts the Optima vertical and about 1-1/2" below the stock battery mount in my '35. I don't concern myself about being show correct so do not bother mounting the Optima in a script case. The Optima that I have in my '35 spins the engine like a 12V battery.
There is a repro battery cover/door available for '35-'36 that has a higher profile than the original stock cover allowing a 2HF battery to fit the stock '35-'36 battery box. Lots of different possibilities available.

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-22-13 @ 8:30 AM

ford1ford    -- 07-23-2013 @ 11:12 PM
  Out her in seattle there is Co. called Budget Battery they sell a battery for a Voxswagan It sits in the floor and spins my 35 just fine,Has reserve power for when the carb is a little low.

ford1ford    -- 07-23-2013 @ 11:17 PM
  Those Vosxwagon batts Are made by somebody here in the states we just have to find out who!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6331