Topic: 36 Fordoor Overdrive

DEAN333    -- 07-21-2013 @ 8:32 AM
  I would like to put an overdrive in my original 36 85hp. Suggestions are what I'm seeking. Mitch*ll Overdrives advertised in the V8 Times?? Thanks guys.

TIM CARLIG

TomO    -- 07-21-2013 @ 9:02 AM
  Tim, the easiest to install is a Columbia. The Mitch*ll requires modification of the floor on a 36,
according to Mac's catalog.

Seeing as we live in flat country, you might be better off with a 3.78 or 3.54 gear set.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-21-13 @ 9:04 AM

supereal    -- 07-21-2013 @ 11:48 AM
  I installed a Ryan OD. About ten years ago in my '47. I couldn't find a Columbia with all the necessary attachments such as the speedo changer, engine connection, and others. If all you can find is the axle, plan to spend as much for the accessories as you do the axle. I'm not sure Ryan is still in business, but Mitch*ll is widely used. As for controls, I installed a cable made for the PTO in trucks. The knob is mounted below the dash, and eliminates putting a shift lever thru the floor pan. My car has a 3-78 rear, and the 33% ratio ia a bit tall. With a 4-11 it would be better. I don't use the OD below 40 mph, but it sure makes hiway cruising easier with out a screaming engine.

carcrazy    -- 07-21-2013 @ 11:54 AM
  It may not be the easiest nor least expensive to install but from a function and maintenance standpoint the best choice may be a Borg Warner T5 manual 5-speed transmission. These transmissions include an overdrive fifth gear within the transmission case. The T5s of choice were originally used in Chevrolet S-10 pickup trucks. You can get them with several different overdrive gear ratios.

trjford8    -- 07-21-2013 @ 1:08 PM
  I would call Mitch*ll regarding the floor pan modification. The floor pans can be different in the various body styles of 36. As I recall Glen Mitch*ll had one of his overdrives in a 36 fordor and I don't recall him talking about modifying the pan. We have two people in our regional group using the Mitch*ll and they swear by them.

JerryW    -- 07-21-2013 @ 4:48 PM
  Here's an overdrive unit. Anyone have any thoughts
or experience with this?
http://www.gearvendors.com/custom.html

trjford8    -- 07-22-2013 @ 6:33 AM
  I think the Mitch*ll may be smaller.

dicker    -- 08-24-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  I put a Mitch*ll OD on my 36 4door convertible about 8-10 years ago and did have to do a little surgery on the floor and the tunnel just in front of the rear seat. I first put in the cable control but later changed to the floor shifter which is far smoother in operation and far more convenient since it is right next to the floor gear shifter. Also, the cable shifter got too close to the exhaust pipe, melted the plastic which then seized the cable and of course they became one and would not shift any more.

Dick Kurtz

Bill Wright    -- 08-24-2013 @ 4:04 PM
  I have a Mitch*ll OD in my '28 Roadster and my '37 Fordor.I think they're fool proof.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6329