Topic: Fuel problem

silverchief    -- 07-18-2013 @ 7:00 PM
  My 49 flathead has suddenly started acting up. It has a Autolite carburetor. Most recent thing I did was install a new electric fuel pump after the car quit a block from home, and showed no gas from jets into throat of carb. The old pump had been on the car about 15 years and was just pushing a trickle of gas. I assumed the filter was probably pretty clogged and our modern gas had finally ruined the diaphragm. I blew out all lines from the pump forward before installation. Caught the residue in a towel and no sign of rust or crud. Ran fine for a couple of weeks. Now has suddenly started idling rough and quitting after a few minutes fast idle in my garage. Yanking the throttle rod - no gas into carb....as previously.
3 times I have pulled the fuel line from the carb and activated the pump into a jar. Plenty of gas. Removed top of carb - only about quarter inch of gas in the bottom of the bowl.

Float level is correct using cardboard gauge furnished by this forum. It's setting has not been changed since the carb was rebuilt last year and the car has run fine. Have installed 2 different needle valves and can't get either to stick with hand manipulation. Running electric pump full time, manual is capped off.
Using fuel regulator set at 2 1/2 pounds. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Update
Found original type needle valve with all metal needle.
Checked fuel level in bowl after shutting car off. Was way low if 11 16ths from top of bowl and or suggestion by Supereal is correct. Adjusted float level to allow more fuel into bowl, and that with the all metal needle seems to have helped.

This message was edited by silverchief on 7-19-13 @ 1:28 PM

supereal    -- 07-18-2013 @ 9:14 PM
  I went thru the same problem with my.'47. When the car occasionally bucked and tried to die, I could get it going with the electric pump. Aha, I said, the stock pump was bad, so I put a new one in. Everything worked fine, for a while, then the problem returned, so the flex line was swapped out. Same result. I have a new plastic tank, and an inline filter before the electric pump. That left only one thing:The gas line from the tank to the firewall. Twenty bucks and an hour's work finally cured the mystery. It was tough to find, as I couldn't remember the last time I replaced a gas line. It was full of dirt and rust when I opened it up, and apparently clogged enough from time to time to drive me nuts, and make me dread to go far.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6324