Topic: Need guidance rebuilding 1946 Ford Coupe

marty2366dix    -- 07-14-2013 @ 7:33 AM
  I have a early 1946 Ford Coupe that was bought as a basket case many moons ago. My Dad did a full tear down before getting sick and dying in 2001. I have been trying to finish it since. I cannot afford to pay some one to do it for me, plus there is no satisfaction as well. I am looking for guidance as I stumble putting it back together. Any takers to be a mentor? I am at my wits end. I should add, it runs, drives and stops. I am putting the body and interior back together and have no one to turn to to ask questions when I have problems.

This message was edited by marty2366dix on 7-14-13 @ 7:43 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 07-14-2013 @ 7:52 AM
  Marty, sorry for your loss. It looks like you have the start of a beautiful car. If you think you can't complete the restoration by yourself you might want to contact your local V8 Club. Most of the guys I know are always eager to help. Where are you located? You might also purchase the 1941 to 1948 V8 book offered by the V8 Club, it is a wealth of info. I have found that this site has many very talented V8 guys that will help you. Good luck and keep us informed, you are well on your way and it looks like the major work is done, don't give up!!!

marty2366dix    -- 07-14-2013 @ 8:00 AM
  Well I live in of all places Dearborn Michigan. Is there a local branch of the Early Ford club? I had joined and left the Ford and Mercury club due to lack of assistance. the book should help some. Do I have to be a member to buy it? I also seem to be missing some unusual small parts and have yet to find.

Blase    -- 07-14-2013 @ 8:10 AM
  you can always ask me if you have a problem or question and should be able to help you

marty2366dix    -- 07-14-2013 @ 8:38 AM
  Just some one to talk to when I am frustrated helps. I am not overly gifted mechanically. I just had 2 new door glasses cut from a older piece still in the channel. It had a Ford logo on it. Anyway, neither new window rolls up all the way. They hit the screw holding the divider at the top of the door frame. At that point the glass is up in the channel at the front and has about a 1 inch gap at the rear.

This message was edited by marty2366dix on 7-14-13 @ 8:39 AM

Blase    -- 07-14-2013 @ 11:16 AM
  give me your email address, I can see your need a lot of help

Blase    -- 07-14-2013 @ 11:28 AM
  First of all, did you use Glass Setting Tape. What does the logo on the all window say meaning the letter to the left and right of the word FORD. This is very important, this will tell us when the car was made.
Secord: Before for put the windows in you need to add that logo SCRIPT which you can order from Carleton Glass

TomO    -- 07-14-2013 @ 3:02 PM
  Hi Marty and welcome to the forum.

You have a nice start on your 46 Ford Coupe. If you are trying to restore it back to original condition, you should buy the 41-48 book. You do not have to belong to the Club in order to purchase it. You can purchase it on the home page of this site, or purchase it from the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum in Auburn, IN.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/

There is an active Regional Group in Dearborn and you can find their contact information on the Home Page of this site. Plan to make a couple of their meetings as a guest, to see if you want to join.

Here is a link to a site that has glass installation instructions.

I hope that you can find all of the help that you need to get this car back on the road in the condition that you and your Dad wanted.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-14-2013 @ 3:32 PM
  Most us old, gray V8ers are more than happy to help where and when we can. The best advice I received many years ago when I tackled my first project was to only work while it is fun. Restoration is often "one step forward, two steps back". When fatigue and frustration creep up, step away and recharge. Too many otherwise restorable old Fords are abandoned. My present project has covered nearly fifteen years! For most of us, the usual drill is: First time, we put it together wrong. Second time: better, but not quite right. Third tim: Got it together right! But, maybe I can improve it.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-15-13 @ 2:03 PM

marty2366dix    -- 07-16-2013 @ 2:36 PM
  I had a flat glass guy stop at work and he looked at the windows and said the first guy did not cut them correctly. He took the windows and my old piece and said he would fix them. I didn't figure the guy who cut them was off that much. I figured it was me.

JM    -- 07-17-2013 @ 4:35 PM
  By posting and asking questions here and on www.fordbarn.com, you should get lots of good help putting your Ford back together. Some members on these websites might even live close to you and be willing to stop by and physically give you a hand. Joining the Early Ford V-8 Club and becoming a regional group member would also be a good thing for you to do.

John

Pauls39    -- 07-17-2013 @ 7:52 PM
  Check the links to regional groups. RG 67 is the Dearborn Group, down the road we have RG126 based in Jackson Mich.
Club members are usually glad to help.

marty2366dix    -- 08-18-2013 @ 5:59 PM
  Here is two questions kind of linked. My 46 runs and drives. I did not have a horn wire to run up to the steering wheel when I rewired it, til now. I appear to be missing some kind spacer or bushing at the top of the steering tube as the steering shaft wobbles in the tube. Is it possible to run the horn wire with the steering tube in place and is it supposed to have some kind of bushing between the steering shaft and tube. What would it look like and who sells them if I dont have one. Thanks

supereal    -- 08-18-2013 @ 6:13 PM
  There is a rubber bushing that fits around the shaft inside of the tube below the steering wheel. Look at the C&G online catalog. www. cgfordparts.com. Better yet, ask them for a catalog. They are free, and a reliable source. You can fish a wire down thru the steering shaft. It is best done while you have the wheel off. Feed a stiff, small wire up from the bottom, then tape an insulayed wire to it, and pull it down so it can be connected to the wire to the relay, with the other end attached to the horn ring where there is a connection screw.

TomO    -- 08-19-2013 @ 7:22 AM
  Your Ford will ster much easier if you replace the upper rubber bushing with a bearing.

C&G has one but the consensus is that Dan Brusegard makes one that is better.

Email: dancb@comcast.net

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6305