Topic: Heat riser passage in intake manifold

MechanicJim    -- 07-13-2013 @ 8:52 PM
  Has anyone tried or can recommend blocking the heat passage in the intake manifold. I am working on a 1940
Merc with original spec 239.
In earlier days we used intake gaskets on performance
FE engines with the passage blocked. As I live in South Texas, I am not concerned with cold driveability.
I have encountered vapor lock a few times (overcome by
engaging the electric fuel pump) so hot fuel can be a concern.
I would appreciate any thoughts or experience you may have.

Stroker    -- 07-13-2013 @ 9:22 PM
  As a native of SO-CAL, I can relate to the climate not being such that a lot of carb heat is
needed. The standard method we used (in the 50's), was to install a penny in the heat riser port on both banks. The added benefit was that it made the exhaust "bark" a lot more agressive.

alanwoodieman    -- 07-14-2013 @ 9:39 AM
  I used a thin piece of ss to close in the gap--this piece was cut from a chevy gasket of some sort, anyway put the gasket on first and then lay the metal over the hole and then place the manifold on. maybe use a piece of damaged ss trim ?

supereal    -- 07-14-2013 @ 11:50 AM
  Blocking the heat riser opening won't hurt anything, but I suspect you have another problem. When my '47 would start to miss and buck, I usually could make it go with the electric pump. Finally, that didn't work, either. I ruled out the carb, mechanical fuel pump, coil, and the other common faults. What cured the problem was replacement of the fuel lines, metal and flexible, between the tank and the pump. The line was almost completely blocked with rust and dirt. When fuel demand was high, it just couldn't keep up, and tried to die. The line was so full we couldn't force a wire thru it when it was straightened out. It is only 1 quarter inch ID pipe, just enough to satisfy demand when clear. I did put a large inline filter between the tank and the electric pump to catch any more contaminents. As all "new" gas contains some alcohol, eeven when the pump says it doesn't, apparently this contributed to the gradual blockage.

MechanicJim    -- 07-14-2013 @ 1:08 PM
  Thanks guys. The block off route is the way to go.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6303