Topic: The Classifieds-Buyer Beware!

47Fordor    -- 07-13-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  SCAMMERS ARE OUT THERE and they are ON EFV8 CLASSIFIEDS! I'm aware of scams where people ask for your personal information so they can assume your identity, and scams where they send a worthless Western Union check and then take your bank account information off the returned check but what do they gain by just getting your phone number? Since advertising in the parts wanted section of the EFV8 Classifieds, I've gotten 2 emails from people that claim to be from the UK, say they have what I need (never mention the part) but they need my phone number, so they can call me right away. I actually started to give out my number to the first guy but thought better of it and requested photos and measurements of the brake drum I needed before I would send my phone number. No reply.

Chris

JM    -- 07-13-2013 @ 8:36 AM
  Scammers are working all of these websites. You really need to be careful and use common sense when dealing anywhere at any time on the internet.

John

JM    -- 07-13-2013 @ 8:36 AM
  Scammers are working all of these websites. You really need to be careful and use common sense when dealing anywhere at any time on the internet.

John

supereal    -- 07-13-2013 @ 5:50 PM
  NEVER give personal information such as your address, phone number or, particularly, financial data to anyone unless you initiated the contact. Even then, use great caution. Demand proof, such as photos, that clearly show the part or vehicle, and always arrange payment thru a third party, such as Paypal. There is an epidemic of film flam out there. Don't be a sucker!

42merc    -- 07-13-2013 @ 6:59 PM
  I have been advertising for "parts wanted" on three sites. All three sites have been answered by people from the UK.
Fortunately most sites allow you to check the profile of the responder before you reply.

Stroker    -- 07-13-2013 @ 8:25 PM
  There were a number of threads on this subject a couple of years ago. I was looking for a driver's side engine pan for my 38, posted on our "parts wanted" and got a bunch of replies from a UK address.

Using Google street view, I determined that the location was a walk-up with a tobacco
shop on the first floor. In all fairness to our Brit friends, I believe I was dealing
with Nigerians, who probably weren't physically "in" the UK.

One quick way to call the bluff is to request a photo of the item, as of course they haven't got a clue. I'd also only remit with PayPal, which of course they can't handle either. By the way, I still need a driver's side splash pan for a 38 Deluxe.

47Fordor    -- 07-14-2013 @ 5:25 AM
  Since the email didn't mention the part by name, I figured he knew nothing about it and just wanted my phone number: that's why I requested pics and measurements of the '33 rear brake drum I was looking for. I just hope that, eventually, a LAGITIMATE individual will come up with one that they want to sell.

Chris

47Fordor    -- 07-14-2013 @ 5:30 AM
  So does anybody know WHY they try to get your phone number? I've heard of lots of fishing scams but most want your bank information or other personal information, so they can either clean out your bank account or assume your identity. What do they gain by you sending them your phone number?

Chris

47Fordor    -- 07-14-2013 @ 5:42 AM
  AHA! The internet knows all! I did a search and found the answer to my question. Ring tones and SMS's (short text messages: yes, I had to look that up too) can often be charged to your cell phone account, if you don't have a credit card. I've also heard of sex talk lines that could charge to your phone account.

Chris

1932BB    -- 07-16-2013 @ 8:14 AM
  I had the exact same experience as Stroker. Nearly at the same time, which I posted on this site. I asked for pictures because I was looking for a pass side engine pan for a 32 BB, and was wary of the right hand drive issue. I got pictures but I don't know what of. Close call!

I'm still looking for a pass side engine pan for a BB!

CharlieStephens    -- 07-16-2013 @ 9:20 AM
  Quote:
I had the exact same experience as Stroker. Nearly at the same time, which I posted on this site. I asked for pictures because I was looking for a pass side engine pan for a 32 BB, and was wary of the right hand drive issue. I got pictures but I don't know what of. Close call!

I'm still looking for a pass side engine pan for a BB!

1932BB

I am not really in to the BB but I think the passenger side pan is the same for both the B and the BB. I know the driver's side is different due to the size of the steering gear. If you didn't have your PM's disabled I would have sent this to you directly instead of bothering everybody and having to hope you will read it.

Charlie Stephens

1932BB    -- 07-17-2013 @ 11:13 AM
  Thanks Charlie! I'm now up to date. You are correct about the pass side pan being the same. This was talked about on this forum some time ago with the help of David R.

The '37 parts manual has a note next to the part number "Make from Model B pan" or something to that effect. I'm still wondering if the "fin" on the inside edge was originally taller to compensate for the larger and more sloped frame.

BERTHA    -- 07-19-2013 @ 7:02 AM
  I've gotten two responses to my EFV8 ad, both bogus, both asking for a phone number, they got it..... Buffalo FBI Headquarters.

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6300