Topic: Drake Belts

jal9846    -- 07-06-2013 @ 12:31 PM
  Recently installed a new script fan belt from Bob Drake 21A-8577. This belt is too wide and too short! It barely fits on with the fan in the farthest downward position, and that is even after fighting with it to stretch on. Ran the truck for a few minutes after tensioning the belt as much as possible, and could not get enough tension on it to clear the fan hub x distributor! Please pass the word....seems that the Chinese made Bob same thicker belts on that lot. Called Drake's and they wouldn't do anything for me, despite my over $1,000 per year spending there. So sad to see Bob's quality fall off so steeply lately. Please stop selling us junk Chinese parts Bob....I would rather pay $10 more for the "right part"...and have you save your money instead of fancying up the parts with the "original looking" blue/blue ford labelng!

oldford2    -- 07-06-2013 @ 1:54 PM
  It is hard to believe that this "short belt" problem has gone on for years and they have never corrected the problem. I think he must have bought 1000 belts and will keep selling them till they are gone. He knows of this problem but likes to keep his head in the sand. I, like hundreds of others, have one hanging in my shop. Just go to NAPA get a belt for half the price. Try it and if it is the wrong width or length take it back and they will let you try others. This is not rocket science.
John
John

supereal    -- 07-06-2013 @ 3:38 PM
  If you use an "off the rack" belt, be sure it is the correct width, and has the correct side angle. Many industrial belts don't, and will bottom before they get tight enough to eliminate slippage. We buy the belts from C&G (800/266-0470). As noted above, the Drake belt problem has been going on for a very long time.

mdurhan    -- 07-06-2013 @ 8:16 PM
  What on earth has happened to Bob Drake!?! I mean, the man got his start in the business by offering unobtainable super high quality parts for V-8 Fords. Now, it seems many of the products he sells are those complained about the most.... Whatever the cause, it is very sad.....

Personally, I'd love to see Bob go back to his roots - what made his name famous: offering fewer, but very high quality products personally manufactured by him. Ah, those beautiful Bob Drake locking gas caps and Grayhounds; those were the days when "Drake" meant "the best".

"With all our technical expertise and intellectual arrogance, we have become the cleverest fools in world history." - J.I. Packer

This message was edited by mdurhan on 7-24-13 @ 12:55 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6283