Topic: EFV-8C/A Cross Country Grand Tour Ends....

JM    -- 07-06-2013 @ 8:20 AM
  The EFV-8C/A Cross Country Grand Tour officially ended yesterday morning in Flint, Michigan. We had breakfast together and said our goodbyes. We have been traveling together for over a month now and had the greatest of times. Thanks to Arel B., Jerry R., Bill S., and Frank M. for organizing this Grand Tour....and GRAND it was. We all headed in our own directions after breakfast to destinations like New York, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland and elsewhere. I drove straight through from Flint, MI to Rising Sun, MD since I did not seem to be the least bit tired. The '35 ran perfectly after rebuilding a spare distributor on the side of the road in Nebraska on the way to Tahoe. Averaged about 16 mpg and drove over 7,000 miles. I encurage all of you to get your old Ford/Mercury/Lincoln out of the garage and drive 'em!!

Keep on Flathead V-8ing!!

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-9-13 @ 9:05 AM

trjford8    -- 07-09-2013 @ 7:40 AM
  John , glad all of you had a great time at the meet and on the tour. There's nothing better than driving an old Ford on a tour. The trailer guys do not know what they are missing.

BrianCT    -- 07-09-2013 @ 1:47 PM
  I'm truly impressed with how well your tour went.
I have been wondering - what was used to cover the top on the 35 Phaeton?
Brian

FrankM-RG5    -- 07-10-2013 @ 5:22 AM
  Whatever vinyl material the upholsterer had that took care of him in Indiana. It was just something to keep the sun and rain out. With no side curtains they were prepared for the rain in advance.

JM    -- 07-10-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  It was some type of thick rubbery feeling black vinyl material that held up well for the remainder of the trip. The folks at the EFV-8 Foundation located the shop that did the work for Arel B.
As far as I know, all the cars on this tour held up very well mechanically.

John

nelsb01    -- 07-10-2013 @ 7:51 AM
  John, and the gang...............
Let me say it was a pleasure meeting up with you all in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Then traveling the next 2 days with you was just plain GREAT. What a great group!!!
I am sure everyone enjoyed the ride -- and especially me and the Twin Cities Regional Group.
Let's do it again -- and don't forget the root beer floats at Oman's!!!!!

Bruce

34billct    -- 07-15-2013 @ 1:42 PM
  Made it home Sunday 7/14/13 after a short drive from Lee Mass. Forty two days on the road, and driving forty of them. 8263 mi in my 34. A fun trip, theres a big Country out there.

trjford8    -- 07-15-2013 @ 6:56 PM
  Congrats to you Bill. That's a long haul in a 34. That was the trip of a lifetime for any V-8er.

MG    -- 07-15-2013 @ 8:17 PM
  @34billct,

I attended the Tahoe event and probably saw your car. But, not knowing which of the many '34's there were the cross country cars, could you attach a picture of your car? Does your car have it's original engine or have you installed a later model flathead in it? Is yours a Babbitt engine? I saw JM's car there but failed to ask him the same questions. JM, if you could chime in here......MG

MG    -- 07-15-2013 @ 8:33 PM
  BTW - JM & 34billct,

The reason I ask about your engines being Babbitt-ed, is I was told by a gentleman I met at the meet that a long-haul trip such as the one you guys just completed would not be advisable for a Babbitt engine. He said even with newly poured Babbitt such as I have in my '34, the engine would not hold up. Now I'm wondering how those 'Okies' made it to California during the Great Depression?.......

JM    -- 07-16-2013 @ 4:36 AM
  Bruce, I hope to do at least another cross country trip or tour in one of my other early Ford V-8's. Although, I may need to find a less expensive way to make the trip(s). Hotels and fuel are the major expenses.

MG, the engine in my car is a '35 poured babbitt engine that was re-babbitted in 2001. It now has about 21,000 miles on the new babbitt. Most of these miles are at speeds of 40-60 mph.

John

FrankM-RG5    -- 07-16-2013 @ 8:57 AM
  Bill,
good to hear you got back ok. It was a great trip and I enjoyed the time we traveled together.
As far as babbit goes here is the quick answer. Done right it will stand up to any distance. It can also be tightened up a little when needed until it is broken or worn out. Many Model As with babbit have clocked quite a few miles. Inserts are a little stronger and easier to rebuild.

34billct    -- 07-17-2013 @ 8:47 AM
  This is a 34 eng. with babbitt mains and fitted with insert cam bearings. holds good oil pressure and now has 16000 + mi on it. But unfortunately I had a pinion bearing problem on the way out and it was in the shop being repaired during the show. On the way back I went to the Ca. Coast and up to Oregon, Washington, and back through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Dearborn Michigan, into Canada to Niagara Falls, New York, Massachusetts, and home in Connecticut.

JM    -- 07-17-2013 @ 9:55 AM
  Bill, how is that rear doing now after the rebuild in CA?

John

MG    -- 07-17-2013 @ 10:27 AM
  Thanks guys.

Puts my mind at ease. So much for the fragility of Babbitt engines.

MG

34billct    -- 07-18-2013 @ 8:27 AM
  Hi John The differential is fine but i still have a drive line vibration. alos the rear spring is sagging so i am pulling it to day to get it reached and will check the drive shaft. Isi't this FUN?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6282