Topic: Supereal- Horn "tickle"

oldford2    -- 07-06-2013 @ 5:39 AM
  Bob,
Sometimes when I blow the horn (46 S D) I get a little electrical "tickle" on my hand from the ring. 6 volts. Think I have a short somewhere and plan on pulling the wheel and putting a new wire in. Thought I would get some comments first. I have removed the ring a few years ago and thought you push in and turn CCW. Doesn't seem to work and don't want to force it. Thanks

John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 7-6-13 @ 7:00 AM

flathead4rd    -- 07-06-2013 @ 6:52 AM
  Got the same problem with my 50. For now I just make sure I don't have my arm resting on the window sill when I blow he horn. Gives a pretty good jolt. I'm runing 12 volts with new 12 volt after market horns through a relay. Horns work great.

TomO    -- 07-06-2013 @ 8:10 AM
  Search for "horn Problem" on 6/19/2013. Supereal give a fix for this problem.

Tom

oldford2    -- 07-06-2013 @ 8:45 AM
  Tom,
Thanks for the info. I did a search and found Bob's advice. I will take off the relay and clean the ground surface. Will also check the steering wheel ground as soon as I figure out how to get the ring off.
John

supereal    -- 07-06-2013 @ 3:34 PM
  Te rubber donut sometimes sticks and requires some effort to get the ring to release. Push down on the center and turn the ring counter clockwise with the arms as close to the hub as you can, or it may snap (don't ask). The horn "tingle" is due to the horn relay. When you release the button or ring, the collapse of the field in the relay acts like a mini ignition system. A one ohm resistor in series with the button or ring wire will eliminate the jolt. At one time, manufacturers used a special resistor wire for that purpose. At least it wakes you up!

Old Henry    -- 07-06-2013 @ 5:35 PM
  Someone had posted that the stock horn wire from the wiring loom up through the steering column had some kind of resistance that reduced this shocking sensation. I used to get that before I put in the original stock style wire that has eliminated that. Still, today when I was driving, I noticed that with my left arm on the window sill if I almost touched the horn ring with the top of my right thumb such that just the hairs were touching it I could feel the "tickle" in those hairs.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 07-07-2013 @ 3:52 PM
  Sometimes us old guys need a tickle or two!

TomO    -- 07-08-2013 @ 8:37 AM
  Henry, that tickle is designed to check if you are still alive. Sometimes it hard to tell with us old guys.

If you are getting a tickle when you are not blowing the horn, you may have a partial short in the horn relay. Try another original style horn relay.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 07-08-2013 @ 11:06 AM
  The tickles and shocks both come from the fact that the horn ring is the end of the electrical circuit and loaded with electricity just waiting for the escape to the steering wheel. I don't think there is any way to avoid it and that it isn't cause by any shorts in any circuit. It's the nature of the beast.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6281