Topic: Rear sway bar

flathead48    -- 06-30-2013 @ 4:41 PM
  I was wondering if anyone besides myself have had trouble hooking up the rear sway bar on a 48. It just seems short I have measured 3 different ones and they are all the same. When you finally get it hooked it pulls the left side of the car down to make it reach which makes the car lean to the left. All input would be appreciated thanks

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:22 AM
  That can be a tough job, as the rear spring shackles have to be swung so the sway (Panhard) bar can be installed. Don't worry about the pulling to one side, as it generally evens out after driving a while.

flathead48    -- 07-01-2013 @ 12:05 PM
  Thanks Supereal, but if they made it an inch longer would save me a lot of grief

oldford2    -- 07-01-2013 @ 1:12 PM
  Well, I don't get it. First you need to explain what led up to this problem. Is this the track bar that came off the car? You must have the wishbone well off the centerline. I just removed and reinstalled my 46 rearend and the bar should just slip on. I had a spring spreader on for this work but that shouldn't make a difference. How is the car jacked up now? With the car on the ground both shackle assemblies should be splayed out evenly. Did you have the spring off? More info? Like Bob said, once on it will equalize the shackles.
John

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:11 PM
  I wouldn't have believed it either, John, but I ran into the same problem when I replaced the rubber bushings in the sway bar. The guys at Chassis Engineering came over to see my '47, as they thought that they had, perhaps, made their version too short. I just pushed the body over until the bar slipped over the stud on the axle. I had moved the car, so it probably shifted in the process. Be sure the head of the spring center tie bolt is in the opening of the crossmember, and the U clamps that hold the center of the spring are tight.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-1-13 @ 7:57 PM

fla48    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:28 PM
  I had the same problem on my 48. As supereal says, move or shake he axle and or body back and forth and for some reason it will line up perfectly. Don't get to aggressive with the vehicle on jack stands. Don't create a bigger problem.

flathead48    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:31 PM
  The body is off the frame, the rear was out ,I removed the backing plates radius rods torque tube and of course the spring. I sanded blasted all parts painted and reassembled. The spring is a nos one I picked up. Otherwise all the other parts came off the car. I suppose if you remove it from a complete car and don't move the vehicle it may slip back in place without any trouble. But yes ,this is the bar that came off the car and as I said I measured 3 just to be sure of the length thanks for taking the time to assist me,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6253