Topic: 39-40 belt trim HELP

abchurch    -- 06-30-2013 @ 11:59 AM
  Is there a tool available for installing the belt trim? I don't want to scratch the paint trying to squeeze the trim clips while trying to shove them thru the body holes.

I'd appreciate any tips towards getting my 39 convertible trim on without damage.

Thanks in advance

37coop    -- 06-30-2013 @ 1:17 PM
  h*llo ,by sheer coincidence I did mine on my 39coupe 3 weeks ago , quite simple I found (and I,v done it the same way with previous vehicles ....line up the pointy ends with the holes all the way along and just gently push in over each clip one by one , no mystery to that ,to remove ,a wide stubby screwdriver or similar between the cross of the pointy bits and gently push,i,v never had one scratch just do it slowly and methodically ....good luck ,regards jim.

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:47 PM
  It helps to use new clips. Complete sets are available from Carpenter and LeBaron. Be sure all the holes are fully open, and not restricted by paint, etc. Sometimes the heavy inside coating on body panels can get in the way. I do use painter's tape to protect fresh paint because pushing too hard on a screwdriver of other tool can cause disaster. Dont't ask.

abchurch    -- 07-15-2013 @ 7:34 PM
  OK guys, thanks for the good responses. I gave up on pushing the wire trim clips and instead made up clips using 1/2 x 5/8 x 18 ga with 10-24 x 1/2 pem studs and serrated flange nuts for all holes. Not stock and a LOTTA work, but worked great and got perfect trim alignment.

Thanks to all.

abchurch

kubes40    -- 07-16-2013 @ 6:25 AM
  Super... sorry but I laughed at your note. The "don't ask" part really rang a bell. You are not alone my friend. Don't ask...
Mike

c-gor    -- 07-16-2013 @ 4:39 PM
  I have good luck using vasoline on the clips before inserting the clips. the vasoline acts as a lubricant.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6250