Topic: 1936 Cabriolet

flatheadfan    -- 06-30-2013 @ 11:57 AM
  Hi-

Need some help on this. I need to replace the rear window on my '36 cabriolet. I understand the panel that the window is in must come out. Before I start tearing things apart how can I get this panel out with messing-up the top?

Thanks

Tom

trjford8    -- 06-30-2013 @ 6:50 PM
  You'll need to remove the "hidem" welt that is on the rear bow.Once this is off you will see the exposed tacks that hold the center and left and right rear side curtains. Since the side curtains overlap the center curtain you will need to remove a few inner tacks on each curtain so you can get to all the tacks holding the center curtain. Remove the tacks and the center curtain should come off. Note; I'm assuming that the center curtain is like the roadster where it is held by twist snaps on the bottom.

flatheadfan    -- 07-01-2013 @ 2:10 AM
  trifordv8-

Thanks for the help. I kinda suspected that was the way to get the panel out but I figured I better ask to be sure.

A related question to Ford's convertible tops. Why is the rear window so small? It is practically useless. Is it a question of storage size when the top is down?

Thanks

Tom

trjford8    -- 07-01-2013 @ 6:25 AM
  I suspect the window was small due to the weight of the frame and glass. A larger/heavier window would put a lot of strain on the back curtain. Also old Henry was very thrifty and the cost factor of larger glass and frame would have an effect on the price of the car and profit margin.

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:33 PM
  The small rear window allows the top to be fully lowered without unfastening the panel that holds it. Otherwise, there is a risk of breaking the glass when the bows fold into the top well. Rear visibility is a problem on most convertibles, and without a place to put rear view mirrors on the doors, cowl mirrors don't help much, either. The passenger side mirror on my '47 ragtop is just for show, it seems. Later attempts to make big rear windows out of plastic, with some hinged in the middle, didn't work out. We convertible drivers have to be really careful when the top is up. That's why I have a bright third stoplight on mine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6249