Topic: carb question

46fordnut    -- 06-30-2013 @ 8:17 AM
  h*llo, i have small problem with a internal fuel with a 21-29 holly carb. float bowl drains when it sits for about 2 weeks. i was thinking power valve or gasket?. second i was talk to a friend or mine he said with no mods to car i can use a crab style cap on my 1946 flat 8. would that work?

100 horse running wild

alanwoodieman    -- 06-30-2013 @ 10:34 AM
  sounds like a power valve/gasket but check for pin holes in the float bowl--found one this past week that had the pin holes probably caused from moisture in carb for years

supereal    -- 06-30-2013 @ 10:59 AM
  The bowl of the carb holds very little fuel. Most of the space is occupied by the float. The bowl is vented to the atmoshere, and gas will mostly evaporate over the span of two weeks. That is the reason many of us use an electric pump to refill the carb after long periods. It reduces the amount of cranking necessary to get the engine started. If you are going to use the 21A "crab" cap, you must also install a 21A rotor. The crab cap was discontinued after a very short run because it proved to susceptible to moisture, such as rain, that passed thru the radiator, causing misfire. The later two piece distributor caps require more work to install and arrange the sparkplug wires, but solved the water problem.

46fordnut    -- 06-30-2013 @ 12:43 PM
  OK.. thank you ill fix the carb this week and stay with my two piece cap

100 horse running wild

mikecnc    -- 06-30-2013 @ 1:26 PM
  I have a 35 Tudor with a 59AB engine. A friend with a 35 Coupe and a 59AB engine had a crab cap on his car for many years without any problems and in the course of my restoration, I also installed a crab cap. I have been running the car for 3+ years for about 2500 miles per year and have not had any distributor problems. Of course, I avoid driving in the rain or on wet roads whenever possible. I have had many positive comments from people at car shows and cruise ins. If I may add, in order to install the crab cap you must also use Cap clips (21A-12144) which hold the cap to the distributor body which are available from MAC's.

ken ct.    -- 07-01-2013 @ 8:24 PM
  Crab caps are very reliable if you use the avlible rubber boots on the cap where the wires plug into the cap. I sell mamy of these convertions. ken ct/ PM or cell 1-203-260-5945

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6248