Topic: 1950 ford oil bath air cleaner

Knapp    -- 06-30-2013 @ 6:27 AM
  I have an oil bath air cleaner for my 1950 ford that is in good condition, but is dirty and greasy. What can I use to clean it that will not harm the copper colored paint or decals?

Stroker    -- 06-30-2013 @ 8:08 AM
  Any "mineral spirits" type of solvent, such as Stoddard solvent, or enamel paint thinner will work. Do not use lacquer thinner, or any solvent containing acetone. Charcoal lighter fluid is also fairly safe. In a pinch,
you can use regular gasoline, but be aware of the fact that it is extremely flammable.

This message was edited by Stroker on 6-30-13 @ 8:10 AM

supereal    -- 06-30-2013 @ 11:19 AM
  For effective degreasing or cleaning of most everything, we use a product called "Super Clean" which is readily available at places such as WalMart. It is non flammable, but quite strong, so use gloves when applying it. At our shop, we buy it in the large jugs because it is so useful.

TomO    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:21 AM
  Simple Green will also do a good job of removing grease without harming the paint. Dish washing soap will also work. Do Not use dishwasher soap as it is more caustic.

If you use Simple Green or Super Clean, do not let the painted surfaces soak in them as they can soften the paint in less than an hour.

Mineral spirits is available from most stores that sell paint for home use and is the preferred solvent for the air cleaner. Do not throw any rags soaked in the solvent into the trash until they have completely dried out. You will run the risk of spontaneous combustion if any solvent has not dried.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:20 PM
  We haven't had any problems with Super Clean attacking paint, Tom, but I wouldn't soak anything in it. The main constituent in the stuff is sodium hydroxide (lye) and it works by emulsifying grease into a kind of soap. I use it to clean whitewalls, too. As to air cleaner decals, in spite of careful cleaning, those things always seem to have a fragile hold. I suspect the oil film has so penetrated the surface that nothing gets it all out. The decals are not expensive, and I'd order a couple sets before I attacked the grime.We switched to Super Clean because Gunk and other degreasers create an indelible stench.

Stroker    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:56 PM
  The reason I suggested "mineral spirits", is that it will remove the grease, but won't attack the paint. If you decide to use any of the modern lye-based de greasers, you may end up with damaged decals, and dull paint. You can replace the decals, and put a coat of wax on the paint, but if a mild, non-flammable petroleum does the job, I'd sure try it first.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6245