Topic: 1940 Ford Cut-Away Chassis Pictures

CHEVDEALER    -- 06-29-2013 @ 8:57 AM
  I have a complete 1940 Ford Cut-away Chassis that I am looking for any information or pictures showing its existence and history. Any help is greatly appreciated. The chassis is heavily embellished with chrome and sits on four wooden pedestals. The motor, transmission and rear-end turn over slowly with the starter motor. Serial No. *1. Pictures are attached. Thanks again.

fla48    -- 06-29-2013 @ 5:44 PM
  Nice looking chassis. Looks like it could be a museum piece.

mdurhan    -- 07-01-2013 @ 10:29 AM
  When I was a "kid" living in Lakeland, Florida, I was crazy about V-8 Fords and had joined the EFV-8 club about 1966. I (thought I) knew of every pre-war Ford V-8 in the area. One I knew about was a cut-a-way '40 chassis exactly like yours. Same redish bronze color, chrome and all. It belonged to Florida Southern College in Lakeland and it sat in their auto shop, where students worked on their cars. (Whether this was "recreation facility" or some college courses were taught in this facility, I do not know.) Anyway, the cut-a-way sat there for years. About 1975 I ran across it by accident on the west side of Lakeland, on Wabash Ave., under an open shed where I presumed some hot rodder had it. I seldom got to Lakeland after that and I never saw it again. I don't know where you live, so would not hazzard a guess that it might be the same one.... Mike

The 21st Century American Dream: A disability check.

This message was edited by mdurhan on 7-2-13 @ 5:23 AM

mdurhan    -- 07-02-2013 @ 5:28 AM
  Update: My thinking of your cut-a-way has caused me to recall an article I read years ago regarding the '40 cut-a-way chassis program. It may have been in the V-8 times magazine. What year, I have no idea, as I joined about '66 or so, and kept my membership until about 1981 or so, until recently rejoining. Anyway, it seems that maybe Ford made a substantial quantity of these..... I cannot recall how many. Regardless, one in nice condition would be rare today.

Mike

The 21st Century American Dream: A disability check.

40 Coupe    -- 07-03-2013 @ 5:16 AM
  Lorin Sorensen book "The Ford Shows" has one photo p. 232 of a 40 chassis on exhibit at the 1940 Michigan state fair. The photo of the chassis is obstructed by people viewing the chassis and does not show the chassis on wood blocks. If I remember correctly back in the mid 60's Ford would donate, for educational purpose, items to school programs after their use to Ford diminished. I too remember an article regarding cut away and demo show chassis. You may want to check the on line index to the V8 Times. If you decide to sell the chassis I would hope you contact the V8 Foundation first.

ab4875    -- 11-12-2013 @ 2:14 AM
  There is one these at the National Motor Museum, Birdwood, South Oz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27096349@N07/4296489453 (not my photo)

If you are still after info you could try contacting the museum. From memory they had some background info on the Ford cutaway models.

http://motor.history.sa.gov.au/

TomO    -- 11-12-2013 @ 7:58 AM
  That looks like it may be one of the Factory cutaway chassis. They used them as displays at auto shows and then were usually donated to an educational institution.

Yours has the colors and chrome that were used on the prewar cutaway's and is in very good shape. It would look very good in the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum, next to the cutaway 60 HP engine.

Tom

deuce_roadster    -- 11-12-2013 @ 9:34 PM
  I had the pleasure of being in charge of the restoration of a cut-away v8 that was donated to the V8 Foundation. We did this as a club project and the finished product was presented to Jerry Windle at a Western National Meet. It first was displayed at the Towe Museum in Sacramento but now is at the new building in the Midwest. The engine had many different year parts. The block was a 21 stud 37 or early 38 block. The heads were 24 stud heads which were chromed. The intake was 46-8 so it had to be at least from that era as these were the newest parts. Very odd having 24 stud head on a 21 stud block, with dummy studs and nuts on most positions and a few which lined up being real studs.

deuce_roadster    -- 11-12-2013 @ 9:35 PM
  Another cut-away pic.
I don't know how to put more then 1 picture in a msg.

deuce_roadster    -- 11-12-2013 @ 9:38 PM
  Last one, note the stud hole directly under the cylinder--21 stud block

I won't post anymore of these but you get the idea. It can be seen in the Foundation now.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6240