Topic: Jume 28 3023 Grand Tour

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-28-2013 @ 9:31 PM

We made it to Mitch*ll today. I have not turned on a TV since June 4. The next 3 days will be focusing on getting home. About 500 miles a day. This morning started out with a trip up the Needles Highway. Aptly named for the needle like rock formations along the road. Even though it is called a highway it is an extremely slow driving, 14 mile ling scenic road. Just check out the one way tunnels in the pics. If the fear of heights do not get you the claustrophobia will.
From the northern end we went back toward Custer to stop at the Crazy Horse Memorial. It is amazing the job they are doing there and I wish I had a whole day to spend there.
We now back tracked towards Mount Rushmore. I did not know what to expect when I got there and I must say I was a bit disappointed. We looked around a bit, took a few pictures and left. If I had more time I might have hiked up to the base of the mountain. I did manage to get a pic of my car with the monument in the background.
From here it was drive through Keystone to the highway and head east. We stopped at an Arbys where we met two men that invited us to tour the Hot Rod Institute where students learn the art of building cars. I just did not have time and it killed me not to go as I have seen stuff on TV about this place.
We did not eat at Arbys and ended up eating in Wall where we took a ride by Wall Drug. Too crowded and pressed for time to stop.
About 140 miles east of Wall I noticed the car getting hot so I pulled off and found it needed water. I think the radiator cap is the culprit. Might try to figure out way to seal it. While I was putting water in it a reporter came by and asked if she could take a picture for the paper. She took down Fred's name and I gave her my card and told her where to find us of facebook for the whole story.
We crossed the Missouri River and also lost an hour due to the time zone change.
Now we are in Mitch*ll where the group I left will be staying tomorrow. If any of them are reading I recommend the Whiskey River Grill for supper. Or whatever you might call that meal after 5 pm. Tomorrow on to Davenport IA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97420130@N04/

JM    -- 06-29-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  Frank, you must have the "fat finger" problem on your computer like I have on my iPhone. We will probably both miss the 3023 GNM but Fred may make it since it apears that he has located the "Fountain of Youth" :D. I gave a status report on you and Fred to everyone at dinner last night based on your text message.
We head to the Badlands today and then on to Mitch*ll. Stay safe on your journey home.

John

trjford8    -- 06-29-2013 @ 7:37 AM
  Frank, since you are rolling through Davenport you might want to stop in LeClair and visit American Pickers. It's a small place that's in an alley way. It looks a lot bigger on TV.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6238