Topic: grinding weights on 35 6 bolt pressure plate

stephen miller    -- 06-28-2013 @ 11:23 AM
  i need to create clearence in bell housing area of 33 transmission. can i grind some off the weights on the pressure plate. just using for stock engine and uses. no high rpm or racing. is this dangerous to grind off the weights some or is there a way to put shim not too much between bell and trans? or relieve trans bell housing? appricate advice. thanks stephen

deuce_roadster    -- 06-28-2013 @ 2:31 PM
  The best and easiest solution is to get a pressure plate that already clears. If you take the p.p. to a balancer they can probably do it but I don't think that is a good idea. Even stock engines should have the p.p. and flywheel balanced neutral. It doesn't take much weight to become pounds at even moderate RPM.
So I say no to all 3 proposals, don't ask for trouble.
The folks at Ft.Wayne Clutch can probably fix you up with a p.p. that works without modifications. my 2 cents.

kubes40    -- 06-28-2013 @ 2:36 PM
  Deuce is right on all three proposals... don't do any of them.
Apparently I got lucky with the one I did as there were no clearance issues whatsoever.
I can't recall with 100% clarity as to where I bought my plate and disc from. However, I have been getting them from Ft. Wayne for years and years so most likely that's where it came from.

40 Coupe    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:38 AM
  Measure both the pressure plate and the clutch plate. You want both to have a matching diameter of approximately 9 inch. The clearance between the early transmission bell housings and the replacement pressure plate is very tight, a 10 inch pressure plate will sometimes give problems and the extra size is unnecessary for your purpose. The original style pressure plate for 32-35 does not have the weights and if you already have a 9 inch with interference issues change back to the original style. I believe the original style mounts with 12 bolts VS the replacement with 6 so make sure you have the correct fly wheel or have yours modified to accept the extra bolts.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6235