Topic: 53 steering box

dadisman01    -- 06-27-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  I have a lot of play in my steering wheel. I have tried to adjust it out at the steering box but it is as tight as it will get. Is it easier to replace the box with something like a vega box or rebuild the existing box?

supereal    -- 06-27-2013 @ 6:37 PM
  Steering wheel "play" can be due to more than the steering gear box. Worn tie rod or drag link ends may be at fault, or loose king bolts in the spindles can be the cause. Be sure the arm of the steering gear isn't loose on the shaft, or that the teeming wheel, itself, is secure to the shaft. It is seldom that adjustment of the steering gear is culprit, but uninformed adjusting of the box is likely to creat even more problems. That must follow an established set of instructions. If it is tight, you did it wrong.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-27-13 @ 7:11 PM

Remove

This message was edited by supereal on 6-27-13 @ 7:16 PM

Remove

This message was edited by supereal on 6-27-13 @ 7:15 PM

supereal    -- 06-27-2013 @ 6:38 PM
  Remove

This message was edited by supereal on 6-27-13 @ 7:14 PM

supereal    -- 06-27-2013 @ 6:38 PM
  S

This message was edited by supereal on 6-27-13 @ 7:13 PM

TomO    -- 06-28-2013 @ 7:14 AM
  I agree with Supereal that you should check out all of the other steering components before trying to adjust the steering box.

Jack up one wheel and try to turn it left to right. If there is any movement at all, you have worn components. Check to see where the movement is and replace the worn parts.

Rebuilding the box is much easier that trying to re-engineer the steering geometry with a Vega box.

Tom

dadisman01    -- 06-28-2013 @ 5:31 PM
  I have jacked the car up and removed the wheels to see if there was any difference. The front end appears to be tight. The play appears to be in the box itself as there is about three or more inches of play in either direction even with the wheels off the ground and there isn't any movement from the steeing box when I move the steering wheel in either direction.
Michael

Stroker    -- 06-28-2013 @ 9:12 PM
  The Vega and Corvair steering boxes are excellent Saginaw recirculating ball steering boxes. I have used them on race cars, but they have no place in anything but a street rod or race car. I'd suggest, as have many respected "others", that given the obvious condition of your 53 box, you either try to find a "low-time" replacement, or rebuild. The stock 53 box is pretty darned good, and while not quite as durable as a recirculating ball, it can give very good service if properly rebuilt. Years ago, I replaced my original 32 steering box with one out of a 53 pickup. It was almost like adding "power steering". The bracketry, and steering arm machinations alone should discourage you from a Vega. If you are building a street rod, that's a whole different ball game.

TomO    -- 06-30-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  Michael, please re-read my post. In order to determine where the lost motion is, one wheel must be on the ground and you must try to move the wheel that is jacked up. Have someone hold the steering wheel stationary while you try this test.

If your box is that worn, you will see all of the movement at the pitman arm and none in the tie rod ends or drag link.

Tom

dadisman01    -- 06-30-2013 @ 11:09 AM
  thank you Tom. I will try what you have recommended and see if I get a different result.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6233