Topic: Hello from the new guy....

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-25-2013 @ 12:47 PM
  My name is Dave and I live in the Louisville, KY area. I bought a '52 Vickie a couple of weeks ago and just joined the Club today. I already met several members last Saturday when I attended a Club picnic 50 miles away in Frankfort at the home of Jimmy Rogers. I'm looking forward to meeting more members and learning more about how my new car works since this is my first flathead.

The car only gets 11 mpg on the highway at 65 mph and I would like that to improve a little if possible. Both the engine and Fordomatic have been completely rebuilt 5K miles ago and the rear end has a 3.00 gear in it. I would like to have someone who knows these cars take a look at it and tell me if there's anything I can do to improve the mileage. You can email me at dave314@bellsouth.net or call me at 502-767-7773. Thanks...............Dave

woodiewagon46    -- 06-25-2013 @ 1:39 PM
  Hi Dave, My wife and I drive our 1946 Ford woodie to the Street Rod Nationals held in Louisville every year. Come over to the fairgrounds and say h*llo!!

This message was edited by woodiewagon46 on 6-25-13 @ 1:40 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 06-25-2013 @ 1:40 PM
  Hi Dave, My wife and I drive our 1946 Ford woodie to the Street Rod Nationals held in Louisville every year. Come over to the fairgrounds and say h*llo!!

Kens 36    -- 06-25-2013 @ 5:28 PM
  Hi Dave - welcome to the Club! You should find a lot of help and support on this forum. Be sure to ask specific questions about your '52 and some knowledgeable guys will answer.

If you haven't already done so, consider joining the Frankfort Regional Group (or Louisville if you are closer). Folks in those groups should be able to help you.

On this site, check out the brand new '52-'53 Ford book which the Club just published. It is a valuable reference for your car.

Ken Bounds
National President

1934 Ford    -- 06-27-2013 @ 6:35 PM
  Dave,
Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you got a good car if you drove it 50 mile to a pinic after two weeks!
The fun of thse cars is the driving, so hang in here and enjoy what others have experienced.
50 years ago, as a young teenager, my best friend who lived in a Florida trailer park got a cherry 52 Victoria to replace his 51 Plymouth Mayflower. As I remember it, it was mint, which was unusual for a 10+ year old car (But the trailer park finds were old folks cars and usually pretty good.) The teasing stopped because we all loved the 52 Vicky.
I bet you can improve the MPG with a carburator adjustment to make it run leaner.

1934 Ford's since 1972

1934 Ford    -- 06-27-2013 @ 6:37 PM
  Dave,
Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you got a good car if you drove it 50 mile to a pinic after two weeks!
The fun of thse cars is the driving, so hang in here and enjoy what others have experienced.
50 years ago, as a young teenager, my best friend who lived in a Florida trailer park got a cherry 52 Victoria to replace his 51 Plymouth Mayflower. As I remember it, it was mint, which was unusual for a 10+ year old car (But the trailer park finds were old folks cars and usually pretty good.) The teasing stopped because we all loved the 52 Vicky.
I bet you can improve the MPG with a carburator adjustment to make it run leaner.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 06-28-2013 @ 7:31 AM
  Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are many things that can affect the mileage that you receive. Here are some of them, starting with the most common.

Driver and speed - Fast acceleration and not keeping a steady speed will decrease mileage significantly. At a steady 65 MPH expect around 14 MPG or less. Your car has the aerodynamics of a sail and the faster you go, the worse the mileage is. Wind direction has a significant effect on mileage.

Fresh engine - 5,000 miles is not very many miles and your engine is still a little tight. This will also affect mileage.

Oil Viscosity - Choose an oil that is a good compromise between oil usage and mileage. Start with a 10W 30 and go up to a 20w50 in steps if you are burning too much.

Carburetor - after a long drive, shut off the engine without letting it idle and check the spark plugs for color. They should be a light tan in color. If they are black and sooty, your carburetor needs attention and should be rebuilt by a qualified technician.

Brakes dragging, front end alignment and distributor condition will also affect mileage. If these are your problem, you should notice sluggish performance.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-28-2013 @ 10:15 AM
  Check your odometer against a measured mile, such as the mile posts on an Interstate. It is likely you will see that your odometer is far from accurate.

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:38 PM
  Thanks for the replies. I should mention that I flew down to Tampa and drove the car 900 miles back to Louisville two weeks ago. I left at 3:30 PM on Friday the 14th and was home by 2 PM the next day. The speedometer is 7 mph off so when it says 60 I'm actually going 67. I found a Club member in Louisville named Mike who is going to look at the car in about a month when he gets back from his vacation. He's going to rebuild the carb and put an on/off switch on the electric fuel pump. Thanks again for the comments....

1952 Ford Crestline Victoria

This message was edited by Dave52Victoria on 6-29-13 @ 4:38 PM

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:40 PM
  Here's some pics....

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:42 PM

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:42 PM

Dave52Victoria    -- 06-29-2013 @ 4:43 PM

trjford8    -- 06-29-2013 @ 7:36 PM
  Great looking Victoria. If your speedo is off by 7mph that will definitely throw your mileage calculation off as the odometer is not registering the correct number of miles. Your reading on mileage is less than the actual traveled , so it would show your mpg to be less than the true mpg. you are probably getting more like 13-14 mpg.

TonyM    -- 06-29-2013 @ 9:04 PM
  Welcome.

78-73B

TomO    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:35 AM
  Dave,

That is one nice Victoria.

I would not rebuild the carburetor or even touch it if the plugs are a nice tan color. You are liable to end up with worse mileage than you currently have.

Did you use the GPS miles to compute your mileage or the aftermarket speedometer?

Is that an air conditioning compressor that I see in the engine compartment? If it is and you had the air on, your mileage is probably the best that you are going to get.

You should always use several tank fills to compute your mileage. That way you have a better measure of the gas used.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-1-13 @ 7:36 AM

trjford8    -- 07-01-2013 @ 6:17 PM
  Tom, that looks like a power steering pump.

TomO    -- 07-02-2013 @ 8:07 AM
  Now that I look closer, I can see that it is a remote reservoir power steering pump.

Thanks for correcting me, Tom.

Tom

Dave52Victoria    -- 07-02-2013 @ 9:22 AM
  It doesn't have A/C. It took 7 tanks of gas to get from Tampa to Louisville which I would call "several" tanks. I'm going to have a Club member look at it at the end of the month. Thanks for the comments....

40cpe    -- 07-02-2013 @ 12:39 PM
  I would definitely have the distributor checked for proper timing advance. The stock distributor doesn't have any centrifugal advance. If the advance isn't working correctly MPG and power will suffer. Distributors are available with mechanical and vacuum advance and are a great modification for the flathead.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6216