Topic: June 23 2013 Grand tour

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-23-2013 @ 10:11 PM
  We had quite a day today. We started from Salt Lake City with a trip around the capital and to see the Mormon Tabernacle. Fred and I found the capital but missed the tabernacle. Fred said we can see a picture on TV and I was ok with that. A few people in our group did go inside and got the hear the choir for forty minutes. Quite an experience from what they told me.
Out of Salt Lake we headed north on 15 and there was a group of 4 cars. I did not feel comfortable with that many and traffic so I turned off and got gas before continuing on. Fred and I were pretty much on our own now but we knew there were people in the group not that far off. We turned onto 89 and had one of the most beautiful rides right up to Alpine Wyoming. I am not sure if the pictures can really depict what we saw but I tried. Sorry for the windshield reflections but I was seeing that too.
One of our first stops was a dam where people were fishing in a river in the Uinta-Wasatch National Forest. I was talking to a gentleman who pointed out a beaver swimming in the river. You can see grass in his mouth for the dam he was building.
It was about an hour of winding roads with breathtaking scenery where we stopped at the top of a mountain to take some pictures of Bear Lake. I have never seen lake water this color before.
There was a planned lunch stop there and we managed to find the rest of the group. They told me where they were going and I found it on my Gps and proceeded to go. They went the wrong way and I just drove the four miles to where it is but it is not called the same name so had a bit of trouble finding it. I said to Fred I think this is it in the country club so we drove up a big hill and still had to get directed to the restaurant form the parking lot. We had the whole place to ourselves and prices were reasonable and you can judge the view for yourself. We had a wonderful lunch and a lovely waitress. The weather on the patio was perfect. The rest of the gang went somewhere else. We called but it was too late.
Some more driving on 89 through rolling hills, mountains and some small towns. We went through Idaho for a bit to get to Wyoming. Checked into the hotel in Alpine and went to the Mountain Festival but it was closing down. We did meet a few people including the mayor's wife. I asked where the mayor was and she said in the bar next door. So Fred and I went in for something to drink. They had a "welcome motorcyclists" sign out front so I figured it might be interesting inside. We did not meet the mayor but we did meet another man that grew up in Granby Connecticut. Being Wyoming, we discussed right wing stuff and how the country needs to exercise common sense and what not. I won't get into politics further but he was going to guess Fred's age. I told him Fred had just had an anniversary and wanted to see if he could guess which one? He asked Fred to remove his hat which he did and then he asked to see his teeth. Fred asked him if he was buying a horse. Needless to say he guessed almost 10 years too young. Then I threw in Fred also raised 11 kids. Fred attributed his health to not drinking or smoking and eating to live, not living to eat.
At this point a member of our group walked in looking for directions and we were ready to leave so we guided them to the motel.
27 of us met for supper and the leaders are encouraging us to eat with as many different people as possible. There will be a quiz about all of us a few stops from now. This should be interesting.
I could write so much more but who really wants to read all that. The Fred stories keep coming.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97420130@N04/

This message was edited by FrankM-RG5 on 6-24-13 @ 5:38 AM

trjford8    -- 06-24-2013 @ 10:32 AM
  Frank, great pics. You two should've had a fishing pole hidden under the seat. Looks like you may have missed some great fishing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6213